Talk

Advanced search

Beast Quest books

(10 Posts)
fruitshootsandheaves Mon 01-Jun-09 20:31:20

My DS(7) keeps asking for these books and I'm wondering if they are any good. He is REALLY struggling with his reading and writing and is way behind at school. I will have to read them to him but if it helps to spark an interest then they would be worth it.
Are they ok?
is he likely to get bored?
Do you have to read them in any particular order as there seem to be hundreds?
which ones are the best?

TIA

ChasingSquirrels Mon 01-Jun-09 20:41:40

ds1 (6) seems to love them, he isn't bothered by the order he reads them, he certainly doesn't seem bored with them.

No idea on whether they are any good though as he reads them himself.

Chamomile Mon 01-Jun-09 20:48:14

My Ds 9 loves these books. He likes the fact there is a whole series and he likes reading them in order. I think you will certainly be bored reading them but your DS might love them and it might get him into reading.

Chamomile Mon 01-Jun-09 20:53:46

There are some on offer just now at The Book People
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10051_166645_100_48107__category_

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 01-Jun-09 20:57:57

oh thanks everyone

will look into that offer Chamomile thanks

roisin Mon 01-Jun-09 20:58:45

If he's struggling with his reading, way behind at school and has been asking for these books, I can't understand why you haven't jumped at the chance to get them!

Sure, they are not great literature, but at this stage you just need to encourage him to do any sort of reading.

The Beano is great, or any children's comic - or anything at all that he wants to read.

Astrosaurs are similarly popular books.

Lexiej Sun 14-Jun-09 18:24:56

My son has been eatting these for breakfast since we 1st found them in the library. The only books he'll take straight up to his room and not reappear until they've been read!
My local primary school has got a whole junior project on the Beast Quest. They have been shown to make the most reluctant boys read and the boys and girls are all buzzing. Go for it!

ingles2 Sun 14-Jun-09 18:31:14

My eldest loved these books but ds2 is not so keen.
He is a quite a decent reader but wouldn't read for pleasure, but I found the solution for him this week. It's Agent Alfie
Boy spy, written by man who wrote Dr Who.
He literally did not put it down.... Highly recommended.
As for Beast Quest, lots of the boys in junior school playground play games based on these books, so it would be a good idea to get for the first couple from the library and see how you go.

slayerette Sun 14-Jun-09 18:39:04

These books and these books alone helped DS who is 6 make the transition from reading scheme to free reading - he was really nervous of moving away from the reading scheme levels until he got the first Beast Quest book for his birthday. He is now racing through them and has gone on to free read lots of other books with confidence.

I have no idea what they're like in 'literary terms' as I've never read one but TBH, I don't care. He is an independent reader thanks to them!

slayerette Sun 14-Jun-09 18:40:25

PS: DS likes to read them in order and I think it does help but then he takes after me in that - I like to read books in order too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now