Talk

Advanced search

How old were your DCs when they met Harry Potter?

(10 Posts)
fridayschild Sat 09-May-09 22:06:06

My boys are 18 months apart. DS1 adores a good yarn and I think he would love Harry Potter. But the age gap means bedtime is the same time for both, and DS2 likes pictures to look at when we have stories. One per page at least. He is "half past four".

How old were your DCs when they met Harry Potter? Would the thrill of the story make up for the lack of pictures for a 4.5 or should I just hang on for a bit?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 09-May-09 22:08:12

Ds was 6 but has always been an advanced reader, some of the books get a little scary and the content of the last few are not really suitable for younger children. There are alot of other books besides Mr Potter.

janeite Sat 09-May-09 22:09:43

Dd1 was 6 and dd2 was 4 when dp read them the first one - but tbh I think dd2 just zoned out. He read them the 2nd in quick succession and then dd1 read the others as they came out and dd2 never bothered with any of them.

MrsWeasley Sat 09-May-09 22:14:29

mine were quite young but their obsession love was encouraged by older siblings and mum reading them. grin

Have a look at the Oliver Moon series here shows a page layout

HTH

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 09-May-09 22:18:21

ds watched the first movie first, then read the book, after this he was hooked until he met Mr Skywalker and Co.

bruffin Sun 10-May-09 11:35:21

DS was about 5 through the first film, he didn't start reading the books until he was 9 and he was then reading them as they came out so about the right age.

DD didn't start reading them until she was 11 last sept and got a little obsessed and read the whole series about 5 times since.

fridayschild Mon 11-May-09 20:57:24

Thanks! we are doing Star Wars already. I had to bring that course forwards after DS1 announced he was always CBeebie-oh. Can't stand sloppy terminology.....

melorablack Sun 02-Aug-09 22:34:43

I was 10 when I read hp1, 2 & 3. The second book scared me so much I had to call my mum to take me too the toilet at 3 am! She was not happy wink but I stayed up all night to finish it.

The other books I bought the day they came out so I was 11 when I read book 4, 13 for book 5, 15 for book 6 and 17 for book 7 (my sister is 2 years younger than me and read them at the same time I did)

The books became more mature as they went on so I grew up as harry did in a way.

Simply because of all the deaths and a bit of mild swearing in the later books I wouldn't let a pre-teen read the last 2 on their own and I think it might be difficult for a younger child to understand the themes (first kiss/dating for example) that are there from book 5 onwards.

leisurely Thu 27-Aug-09 08:58:27

DD (8.3) got the first one for her birthday and read the whole series this summer. She has thouroughly enjoyed them to the extent of obsession. Not so happy about the spells and potions she chants and makes up in the bath though.

ak12 Thu 27-Aug-09 20:08:19

my daughter is 6 and half and read her first harry potter book this summer she really enjoyed it. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now