Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Roald Dahl The Witches - what age is suitable?

(12 Posts)
mollythetortoise Thu 19-Feb-09 13:47:17

So, I've read The Magic Finger, The giraffe, the pelly and me; Esio Trot, The Enormous crocdile and George's Marvellous Medicine VERY sucessfully to my dd who is 5.5. Last night we started on The Witches. We got to the second chapter where the boy's grandmother describes the 5 children who disappeared and my dd didn't want to read anymore, never ever wants to read it again and was very scared and wouldn't go to bed. She insisted I read a The Large Family book to take her mind of witches as she "can't stop thinking about them". Have I blown it!?
I thought she'd like it! What age would you say the Witches is suitable for?

lou031205 Thu 19-Feb-09 18:39:18

I read it when I was about 10 or 11 and was scared senseless, tbh. I would leave it a few years.

littlelamb Thu 19-Feb-09 18:48:21

I read it to dd when she was 3.5 and she loved it. I do think it was a bit young though, I had forgotten just how scary some of it is shock

VanillaPumpkin Thu 19-Feb-09 18:52:06

I am a totally irresponsible mother and let both dd1 and dd2 have Roald Dahl cd stories on in bed (after their treasured bedtime stories with me). They are 5 and 3 shock. They have listened to The Witches but I have to say they don't choose it any more. Dd1 loves Matilda and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (always my fave). George's Marvellous Medicine is good too.

VanillaPumpkin Thu 19-Feb-09 18:52:34

Oh sorry you mentioned George. Go for Matilda!

redpyjamas Thu 19-Feb-09 19:01:46

Never. It's the only RD book I hate.

VanillaPumpkin Thu 19-Feb-09 19:02:34

I just asked the dd's and they both said it isn't too scary for them. DD2 is always asleep after five minutes though grin.

VanillaPumpkin Thu 19-Feb-09 19:03:26

Oh really redpj's? It is one of my faves. Perhaps our family are a bit odd.

AliandHerScallywag Thu 19-Feb-09 19:04:44

I remember having nightmares about it when I was 9 or 10.

VanillaPumpkin Thu 19-Feb-09 19:11:32

shock Really??? Perhaps I should hide it for a bit hmm.

catMandu Thu 19-Feb-09 19:16:07

Am reading this at the moment to my three, I worried after the first chapter or two and thought that perhaps I ought to stop. DD2 (7) said she had bad dreams after the first time we read it, but actually we persevered on the say so of dd1 who'd read it at school and now they are loving it. I've got to say I'm enjoying reading it, mostly because I do a great Grand High Witch voice grin. Oh, my youngest is 6 - oldest is 9.

mollythetortoise Thu 19-Feb-09 21:17:27

thanks all. will put it away for now and get out fantastic mr fox instead grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now