Talk

Advanced search

Were you a young teenager in the 70s? Do you recognise this book?

(13 Posts)
scampadoodle Thu 12-Feb-09 19:55:11

I read this when I was about 12 (1977ish) but I don't know when it was originally published. It was American, about this really happy, close-knit family. One thing that happens is that one of the daughters is in a bad mood & takes her sister's(?) bike without asking but there's something wrong with it & she has a bad accident, ending up in hospital.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

TIA

provinciallady Sat 14-Feb-09 14:13:28

I'm not sure if this is the book, as it's not American, but in 'Gemma and Sisters' by Noel Streatfeild, Lydia Robinson borrows her sister Ann's bicycle without permission and has a collision with a car, ending up in hospital with a hip injury. The book was first published in 1968, and in paperback by Fontana in 1973.

flyingmum Tue 17-Feb-09 22:46:33

It's not What Katy Did is it? That would be Edwardian but doesn't Katy have an awful accident???? Bit fuzzy about it now.

DesperatelySeekingSanity Wed 18-Feb-09 13:14:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scampadoodle Sat 21-Feb-09 19:28:23

No, it's not the Noel Streatfields because I read those too & loved them. It was definitely American - New England or Connecticut or somewhere & it was modern - I also read the Katy books!

I'm never going to find it, am I?!

procrastinatingparent Sat 21-Feb-09 19:31:06

That plot is ringing very faint bells - but not enough to let me identify it.

Of course, as soon as someone says the title, I will recognise it immediately.

mynaughtylittlesister Sat 21-Feb-09 19:34:22

I am desperately trying to think of girls as a character in a book.

What about Ann of Greengables?

scampadoodle Sat 21-Feb-09 19:41:47

No, it was modern, or at least 1960s/70s. They were a lovely, close family (very unlike my own!), liberal...aargh! Why can't I remember?!

MaryQueenofArkansas Sat 21-Feb-09 19:46:14

It's not this is it?
It's a boy who is hit by the car, but the rest fits...

scampadoodle Sat 21-Feb-09 19:57:01

Good guess Mary, but no...

scampadoodle Sat 21-Feb-09 22:15:46

I found it! Had a sudden flash that it was 'Meet the..." something, so searched on Amazon & double-checked on Wikipedia. It's 'Meet the Austins' by Madeleine L'Engle, published in 1960. I'll check in the local library but they've got it for pennies used on Amazon.

Ain't t'Internet a wonderful thing!

bran Sat 21-Feb-09 22:18:03

I used to love Madeleine L'Engle books, especially a Wrinkle in Time. I haven't read that one though.

mynaughtylittlesister Sat 21-Feb-09 22:18:24

Glad you have found it.

Unfortunately I have never heard of it blush, but it did give me some happy memories looking for it!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now