Talk

Advanced search

What is the _loveliest_ children's book you have ever read?

(178 Posts)
lisalisa Sat 31-Jan-09 22:18:00

My personal favourite in the "loveliest" stakes is Lulie the Iceberg. Every time I read it with my dcs we are captivated by the beautiful art work and vibrant colours and the depth and breadth of description of Lulie the Iceberg's journey from the Artic to Antartica as well as the sheer variety of wildlife all beatifully illustrated.

It is a real feel good book and not only entertains and marvels but also sparks questions and discussions with dcs about geography and animals.

Quite the loveliest book I have seen and shared with my dcs......

What is yours?

Overmydeadbody Sat 31-Jan-09 22:22:37

Too many to list

EachPeachPearMum Sat 31-Jan-09 22:22:54

Peepo by Allan Ahlberg- very moving.

Lizzylou Sat 31-Jan-09 22:25:01

Peepo , I agree
Also Owl Babies
Any Julia Donaldson LOve Room in the shell (glitter! humour me, have 2 boys)
The Hungry Caterpillar obv

angrypixie Sat 31-Jan-09 22:31:11

Can you catch a mermaid.

My daughter has adored it from the age of 3 and I have used it as a prompt for creative writing with years 3 and 4 too. Scrummy.

spicemonster Sat 31-Jan-09 22:35:34

How to catch a star by oliver jeffers. Actually all his books are beautiful - beautifully drawn and beautiful stories. I love them more than my ds does, that's for sure

Mummyfor3 Sat 31-Jan-09 22:38:53

Money Puzzle by Julia Donaldson: I just love the "come, little monkey, come, come, come, let's go home to see you mum!" and misquote if all the time.

Drusilla Sat 31-Jan-09 22:41:37

I love The Snail & The Whale, also Julia Donaldson. It alawys gives me a little tear in my eyes!

SazzlesA Sat 31-Jan-09 22:42:08

Message withdrawn

SazzlesA Sat 31-Jan-09 22:42:37

Message withdrawn

Mummyfor3 Sat 31-Jan-09 22:42:54

OMG, yes Drusilla, and that one: got if for DS2 who was born at 31 weeks!

lisalisa Sat 31-Jan-09 22:43:05

Yes mummyfor3 - i always feel so relieved when baby monkey acatually finds his mummy!" And ds2 ( aged just 3)always sits with a concerned look on his little face whilst baby monkey is awaiting his mummy and relaxes into a relieved smile when he does even though he has heard teh story countless times and must surely know the ending by now!!!!

thumbwitch Sat 31-Jan-09 22:44:12

Snugglepot and Cuddlepie - May Gibbs, Australian.

SazzlesA Sat 31-Jan-09 22:44:12

Message withdrawn

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sat 31-Jan-09 22:45:38

Message withdrawn

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sat 31-Jan-09 22:46:28

Message withdrawn

lisalisa Sat 31-Jan-09 22:47:36

SazzlesA - I would say optimum age about 6 or 7 to fully understand and appreciate the story however:

1 Ds2 who is just 3 ( but has always loved books loves the story and understands its basic premise of an iceberg's journey - " Mummy - Lulie needs to go faster or she'll melt mummy") and demands to be told the name of each animal and bird and adores the art work

2 DD3 who's 5 really understands the story in basic form and as well as wanting to know the story explained to me that Lulie was melting in different pictures and that Lulie " did a good thing mummy" in "sacrificing " her dream to go south to "help " a little girl.

3 Dd2 who's 7 loves teh story and charts Lulie's journey on the pull out map as we;'re reading

4 Ds1 who's 9.5 and realy beyond having books read to him , deigns to listen to thsi one and gets out his animal encyclopeaidea as we're going through the book announcing that here's more pcitures of whales, puffins etc and asks me questions if Lulie is melting due to global warming etc!!!!

Mummyfor3 Sat 31-Jan-09 22:49:34

Yep, I am crying... How lovely is that! Thanks for sharing smile

lisalisa Sat 31-Jan-09 22:50:07

Oh dear reality - that was very sad. Do your dcs like it or does it make them cry too?

SazzlesA Sat 31-Jan-09 22:50:49

Message withdrawn

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sat 31-Jan-09 22:51:25

Message withdrawn

megcleary Sat 31-Jan-09 22:53:08

oh well now I am crying..

charliesweb Sat 31-Jan-09 22:53:15

"No Matter what"

It never fails to bring a tear to my eye. I think every home should have a copy!!!

Merrylegs Sat 31-Jan-09 22:54:24

(That teenager grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was a grown-up man. He left home and got a house across town. But sometimes on dark nights the mother got into her car and drove across town. If all the lights in her son's house were out, she opened his bedroom window, crawled across the floor, and looked up over the side of his bed. If that great big man was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang)

... and I thought my MIL was bad!

(Soz, Reality - tis a v. lovely book I agree)

RiaParkinson Sat 31-Jan-09 22:54:50

Leo the late Bloomer
The story of Ferdinand
The Flower

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now