Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me what these books are? Very obscure.....

(8 Posts)
Tabbykat Tue 27-Jan-09 15:28:54

I'm trying to track down two books (not by the same author) that I remember reading when I was about 10. They are definitely pre-1988 publication, and in my mind are both set somewhere around Victorian times,or definitely olden days!, but then it all gets a bit blurry.

The first is based around the 12 days of Xmas, where some girl is being wooed by a local lad (possibly set in London?) and he arranges for each of the gifts to turn up (geese, hens etc) and chaos ensues.

The second is something to do with a family of bakers, whose daughter is away in France. It's either Xmas or she's getting married, can't remember which, but they want to make sure she has a cake, so they make thousands and ship them over so that one will find her...
So very obscure, I know, but would be eternally grateful for any suggestions if anyone at all remembers these books. TIA, x

ShauntheSheep Tue 27-Jan-09 15:33:06

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twelve-Days-Christmas-Correspondence/dp/038541028X

Is this one by any chance. Obv with new pictures

Tabbykat Wed 28-Jan-09 17:42:31

Thanks for the suggestion Shaun. This isn't it but it sounds fab so might give it a go anyway! x

Hassled Wed 28-Jan-09 17:46:04

I do remember the 12 days of Christmas one - but I was 10 in 1976 so it's maybe older than you're looking for. Can't help re title, etc, though - sorry.

chelsygirl Wed 28-Jan-09 17:48:57

will try to remember for you, rings a bell but I can't remember the title of the 1st one...

PortAndLemon Wed 28-Jan-09 17:54:20

Try the Abebooks.com Booksleuth forum (not the Abebooks.co.uk one as most of the UK Booksleuthers hang out on the US site). They manage to solve the most obscure queries.

Tabbykat Wed 28-Jan-09 19:31:07

Thanks for the Booksleuth tip - in less than an hour and American sleuth has correctly identified it as The Thirteen Days of Christmas by Jenny Overton - will be ordering a copy tonight!! x

RachePache Wed 28-Jan-09 19:41:34

Oh I read that and liked it too.

regarding half remembered books, as well as booksleuth there's also a "name that book" group on LibraryThing which has helped me in the past.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: