Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Books to read to a 5 year old at bedtime

(15 Posts)
ElectraInExcelsis Tue 30-Dec-08 22:57:04

I've been reading dd2 the Darcy Bussell books which seem to be a good length.

Any suggestions for anything else?

thisisyesterday Tue 30-Dec-08 22:58:57

roald dahl?

boogeek Tue 30-Dec-08 23:00:24

Enid Blyton, Pippi Longstocking and I am reading some inane drivel excellent literature about a secret unicorn just now.

ElectraInExcelsis Tue 30-Dec-08 23:00:51

Yes - good idea, probably a bit more interesting for her.

Frizbe Tue 30-Dec-08 23:03:27

Have just finished reading dd1 (age 5) a 'Fairy' book that she got from a birthdy party the other day, there are lots in the series about 25 or so, I think its Rainbow Faries (without going to look, author Daisy Meadow) They're not wonderfully challanging for an adult, but they're an ok pre bedtime read for kids, with 5 min chapter length.

ElectraInExcelsis Tue 30-Dec-08 23:12:34

Sadly Enid Blyton is rather un-pc which puts me off buying any of her books - a shame because there are loads of good stories.

Lockets Tue 30-Dec-08 23:14:38

Message withdrawn

JackieNo Tue 30-Dec-08 23:19:43

Avoid the Rainbow Fairy drivel if you can - put it off till she can read it to herself grin. DD at this age (and DS now) liked Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf which I remember from my childhood, and which has recently been reprinted. Also Teddy Robinson and the Arabel and Mortimer stories by Joan Aiken. All a bit old, and you might think a bit dated, but my 2 love them. I second the Pippi Longstocking recommendation.

LostGirl Tue 30-Dec-08 23:27:58

Sophie books by Dick King SMtih, first couple of Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, George's Marvellous MEdicine by Roald Dahl. DD adored The Faraway Tree series but unfortunately they are dire to read aloud. Paddington Bear by Micheal Bond went down well.

ElectraInExcelsis Wed 31-Dec-08 19:58:01

Thanks for replies - some good ideas here.

Gingerbear Wed 31-Dec-08 20:02:43

All the Dick King Smith books are wonderful. Magic Faraway tree is a lovely escapist story. DD also loved The Worst Witch - good short chapters too.
Rainbow Fairy drivel is tosh, although DD loves to read them herself (she is 61/2)- yawn

Tommy Wed 31-Dec-08 20:04:15

I'm reading the Little House on the Prairie books to 5 year old DS at the moment - he loves them smile

AnarchyAunt Wed 31-Dec-08 20:04:51

Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf is excellent.

Little House In The Big Woods/On The Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Magic Faraway Tree (though rest of Enid Blyton I can't stomach)

The Worst Witch series

Joan Aiken's Last slice Of Rainbow is a lovely anthology, as is Eileen Colwell's More Stories To Tell

SummerNights Thu 01-Jan-09 19:34:10

The Magic kitten and Magic Puppy series are fun for that age altho hopefully for you it may not be long before she is reading them herslef as the stories get a tad repetitive!

Tyakit Thu 01-Jan-09 20:17:59

I highly recommend the Princess Mirror-Belle Collection by Julia Donaldson. DD (just turned 6) and I have just finished these laugh out loud funny and imaginative stories.

Glas to hear the Darcy Bussell ones are good. I bought them for DD had these for Xmas and we will probably start these next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now