Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know about Tintin books?

(14 Posts)
pageturner Tue 16-Dec-08 14:54:15

I want to get some Tintin books for DS1 for Christmas (he's 10 at the end of December) but after looking at Amazon I'm not sure where to start. I don't want to get the Congo one, I don't fancy having to address those attitudes with him over something I've given him as a present, and I don't want to get him one that he won't understand because he hasn't read an earlier one. IYSWIM!

So, any suggestions for a good introduction?

Thanks. smile

spicemonster Tue 16-Dec-08 14:59:27

The crab with the golden claws is quite exciting as a one off (it's about drug smuggling!)

If you want a couple, then there's a 2 parter if you get the secret of the unicorn and Red Rackham's treasure.

I read them in a totally random order though and it didn't spoil my enjoyment - they work in their own right

am a bit of a tintin afficionado blush

TotalChaos Tue 16-Dec-08 15:00:16

The Black Island or Read Rackham's Treasure.

wideratthehips Tue 16-Dec-08 15:00:53

hi, i will find out for you from dh who was a big fan when he was younger.so mush so that our ds1 and 2 have three huge posters in their bedroom.

oh and various clothing items and a snowy dog!

wideratthehips Tue 16-Dec-08 15:02:26

mush??? probably! grin

librarymice Tue 16-Dec-08 15:47:40

My fav is "The Castafiore Emerald". I don't think it really matters what order you read them in.

bigTillyMint Tue 16-Dec-08 15:49:45

DS has the TinTin DVD's (box set from Amazon a few years ago) - they are fab. He loves them all - if you find out what is in the set, that might give you an idea?

bashful Tue 16-Dec-08 15:52:47

see here

Anna8888 Tue 16-Dec-08 15:53:57

Tintin is wildly un-PC through and through.

bashful Tue 16-Dec-08 15:54:40

I've got all of them in English and many of them in other languages- every time I go abroad, I buy one in the language of the country I'm visiting.

tissy Tue 16-Dec-08 15:57:57

I think at 10, unless he's led a very sheltered life, he's old enough to realise that some of the attitudes in the books are rather bigoted of their time.

Anna8888 Tue 16-Dec-08 15:59:53

I read Babar to my DD (4) which is also wildly un-PC. I think it is good to expose children to the literature of another era that reflects the values of times gone by - it is a great way to understand how culture changes and adapts over time (and across borders).

MadameCastafiore Tue 16-Dec-08 16:02:24

We have all the books and the literature behind them - DH a huge Tintin fan (hence my name) - we even been to exhibitions - DS has all of the books but he is only 4 so doesn't ask questions - he also has all the DVDs and loves them.

His fave is Castafiore Emerald and the Red Island one.

Mind you you get them saying smashing and blistering barnacles a lot which is weird when they do it in public.

pageturner Tue 16-Dec-08 19:43:40

Oh you lot are fantastic! grin

Tissy, actually he is a bit sheltered culturally: we live in rural Devon and he has limited direct experience of other nationalities/cultures/religions, and even less idea of old-fashioned attitudes to said differences. And it's not that we don't try and deal with that, it's just that I don't want to give him a book like the Congo one and then spend the whole time he's reading it harping on about negative stereotypes! it might just take the fun out of it! smile

But I love these suggestions, lots of cross-over, which makes it easier. And good to know it doesn't matter what order we do them in, I did wonder whether there was some sort of backstory at the beginning. But if it doesn't matter...great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now