Talk

Advanced search

Michael Morpurgo books

(96 Posts)

Are they any good and are they suitable for 7 year old dd?

dashboardconfessionals Fri 26-Sep-08 12:03:42

Message withdrawn

Cies Fri 26-Sep-08 12:06:47

I remember LOVING them when I was a child. But I agree with dashboardconfessionals that they might be more suitable for 9/10/11 yo.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:06:47

Message withdrawn

PandaG Fri 26-Sep-08 12:09:31

DS is nearly 9 and a very competent reader but only now getting into MM, I think the storylines are a bit old for a 7yo. Are excellent though.

ahundredtimes Fri 26-Sep-08 12:13:26

There are ones for younger readers which she might like if she's a good reader?

Torro Torro
Tom's Sausage Lion

and erm, a few others which I can't remember.

DS2 (8) came downstairs in tears the other night because he was reading Private Peaceful. Poor boy. He needs another dose of Spy Dog, which I bought him for Christmas on Cod's recommendation and which he loves.

PrimulaVeris Fri 26-Sep-08 12:13:59

I think 7 is a bit young

MM is one of my dd's favourite authors, but I don't think she got into them tillabout age 9. Some of vocab quite complex and some more adulty themes. (war, mostly)

ahundredtimes Fri 26-Sep-08 12:16:12

I believe in Unicorns.

It's probably about 7+ I think. Depends on your dd. DS2 read him at 7, and now nearly 9 still reading him, just the older ones. Which make him cry. hmm

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 26-Sep-08 12:17:40

Michael Morpurgo writes for a large age range so there are definitely some that are suited to a seven year old, Cool, for instance is good as is The Butterfly Lion. Most are more suitable from 9 up though. Having said that, I read DD2 War Horse when she was seven and she loved it. She is 8 now and is reading Private Peaceful by herself, but she has a bit of a First World War thing going on, and I wouldn't normally recommend PP for an eight-year-old.

Cocolepew Fri 26-Sep-08 12:18:13

My DD is reading one at the moment she has read one in school and another at home, she's 10. She was scandalised at the word 'arse' in one (she's very Victorian).

FluffyMummy123 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:18:14

Message withdrawn

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 26-Sep-08 12:19:54

x-post, 100times! I was a bit worried about DD2 reading PP, but she is determined and it is hard to actually find good children's books abou WW1 - loads on WW2, by contrast.

ahundredtimes Fri 26-Sep-08 12:20:20

Oh I KNOW the Mudpuddle farm books. They are Morpurgo - one is called something like Are there Martians on Mudpuddle Farm? or similar.

Oh it's dreadful. I read Born to Run to ds2 and we both cried then too. I can't face Private Peaceful. He will have to sob on his own.

ahundredtimes Fri 26-Sep-08 12:22:15

Yes, WW1 is probably difficult. But there's one on the tip of my tongue and I can't remember what it is. DS1 read it. Hang on will go and check.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:23:11

Message withdrawn

PrimulaVeris Fri 26-Sep-08 12:23:57

Oh PP is our favourite. So brilliant and so sad. It was also a set book to study in Year 6 at my dcs primary.

But dd (12) just finished reading The Boy in Striped Pyjamas. Now THAT is sobering. No howling from dd - just stunned sad silence. sad

ahundredtimes Fri 26-Sep-08 12:24:25

No, neither of mine did either. But DD won't read Jeremy Strong [eh? huh? etc etc] but I think will like the Mudpuddle Farm books.

She thinks JS silly shock

Girls huh?

So I figure Socks dd might like the farm books too.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:24:54

Message withdrawn

ahundredtimes Fri 26-Sep-08 12:30:03

Oh. What's that?

She needs something. She has different taste. Liked Clarice Bean [but not as much as ds2 did, I think her sense of humour may be a little lacking]. But not interested in Jeremy Strong, or books about pirates or Horrid Henry. Won't read or listen to Roald Dahl because it is too scary.

I won't go to the fairies, but don't mind if she does.

She's 7 now. It was her birthday yesterday, but she's not a great reader. I don't think she could manage one of the younger Morpurgos on her own.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 26-Sep-08 12:36:02

Might she like The Naughtiest Girl in the School and that sort of thing. Or Sally Gardner's Magic Children books (The Strongest Girl in the World, etc)
DD2 liked those and also those ghastly Secret Unicorn books, which are a step up from the fairy books at least.

ahundredtimes Fri 26-Sep-08 12:36:14

Oh I remember Swish now. I read it!

I'm going to order.

You give good tips Cod

FluffyMummy123 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:37:20

Message withdrawn

ahundredtimes Fri 26-Sep-08 12:39:39

Oh yes, tick to Naughtiest Girl (we are on book five, she reads on which is new and she LOVES and wants to go to Whyteleaf School v. much) and also tick to the Sally Gardner books, she quite liked them.

I think she likes the NG books best of all because they are all about people and emotions in a way. As well as doing your best for the school. Suspect that is her thing, suspect she will love Jacqueline Wilson in time.

I read her those Rumer Godden doll books, we liked those, quite dark and odd but she was interested.

Sorry Sock.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:39:58

Message withdrawn

ahundredtimes Fri 26-Sep-08 12:40:28

We read ALL the Worst Witch books.

Liked those, but wasn't so interested in the fact they were witches. More interested in what x said to Y and X got upset etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now