Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody know anything about Amelia Jane?

(33 Posts)
IDoEverything Mon 08-Sep-08 22:05:58

Been reading lots of Amelia Jane to my dd recently. She is 4 and she absolutely loves them.

My question is this - as far as I am aware Enid Blyton wrote 3 Amelia Jane books:
1) Naughty Amelia Jane
2) Amelia Jane Again
3) More about Amelia Jane.

So how come when I look on Amazon, there's all these extra bizarre things such as
Good Idea, Amelia Jane
Amelia Jane is Naughty Again
Amelia Jane Get's into Trouble......

They all name Enid Blyton as the author, so what's the story?
Are they making up new ones and passing them off as Blyton? shock
Or are they mixing around the stories into different compilations and re-selling them? Which is utterly pointless obviously. Who's gonna buy the same stories printed in a different order (they still sell the original 3 as first published - albeit heavily edited).

thisisyesterday Mon 08-Sep-08 22:08:54

no, there were more than 3 when I was little (in the 80's)
I definitely had Amelia Jane is naughty again

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 08-Sep-08 22:10:25

I had amelia jane is naughty again as well.

I LOVED amelia jane books.

3 boys so no excuse to read them again envy

thisisyesterday Mon 08-Sep-08 22:15:43

bah read them anyway jimjams, they might like them

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 08-Sep-08 22:18:17

ds2 would freak if I tried to read him a girls story (or suggested he read one). I'll have to grab ds3 before he gets any older

thisisyesterday Mon 08-Sep-08 22:19:33

hide the cover, and change her name to John

IDoEverything Mon 08-Sep-08 22:23:45

Hmmm....not convinced.

Have a look here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_by_Enid_Blyton

Naughty Amelia Jane - 1939
Amelia Jane Again - 1946
More about Amelia Jane - 1954

Can't see anymore Amelia titles. Possibly they were alrady being rehashed in the 1980's??

I'm just trying to work out what's worth buying, given what we've already read IYSWIM smile

thisisyesterday Mon 08-Sep-08 22:30:16

ahh possibly. I remember one of mine had a story about teddy having a new umbrella and amelia riding homw on it after tricking him into thinking it was raining.

that is no help, just came into my head lol.

perhaps they'd been written but never published?

IDoEverything Mon 08-Sep-08 22:34:44

Ha ha ha.... lots of grins gringringringringringringringringringrin

We've just read that one! It was great. Had my dd in fits.

But can you remember which book you read it in?!!??!?grin wink
'Cos we read it in 'Amelia Jane Again'!!!

thisisyesterday Mon 08-Sep-08 22:41:19

no, I can't! but I'll probably be over at my mum's house this week and will get them all out of the attic if I can find them

IDoEverything Mon 08-Sep-08 22:55:52

[grins] again.

That's what I did last week!!!!

thisisyesterday Mon 08-Sep-08 22:59:43

I have a whole load of big hardback enid blyton books that were my mums as well.
I can remember just reading them over and over and over.

getting all nostalgic now, will def have to go hunting for them all

SmugColditz Mon 08-Sep-08 23:00:02

I do think that Enid Blyton was bought as a brand name, and that other people have written some of her books. Certanly this happened with the Famous Five books

I had to do some emergancy editing while reading Naughty Amelia Jane the other night - as Amelia Jane threatened to cut the golly's hair off and make him look like "A black Chinaman"

shock It was written in 1939, and that is the only reason I 'allow' the oddities in the book. It's still a charming book.

IDoEverything Mon 08-Sep-08 23:04:10

Along those lines, I have another question grin

When I was up said attic I found 'The Enchanted Wood' but alas did not find 'The Faraway Tree' or 'The Folk of previously mentioned tree'

Now, if I read dd my old version of The Enchanted Wood, does that mean I will have to find old versions of the other 2 as well, given that the new ones are so heavily edited?

IDoEverything Mon 08-Sep-08 23:06:14

Really smugsy????

So - the whole new titles may actually contain whole new stories?!?!? Fraudulent ones at that but nevertheless, whole new stories. I don't think dd will be fussy!

EachPeachPearMum Mon 08-Sep-08 23:11:27

OMG- do NOT read this book to your DC if you want them to be good!
I have this from my childhood, and pulled it out of the bookcase to skim read wondering when DD would be old enough to have it read to her. Wow- can't believe how naughty those toys were shock grin
It would definitely give my pretty good DD (2.7) too many ideas thats for sure!

IDoEverything Mon 08-Sep-08 23:16:32

Funny that EPPM - If I hadn't read them myself as a child and saw them for the first time as an adult, I would probably think exactly along those lines.

But I can remember the escapism that I enjoyed as a child and know that I would never have thought to act it out. Also I was a very quiet, studious type of child despite reading every Enid Blyton going I come to the conclusion that Amelia Jane can do no harm.

grin

Amelia Jane for president!!

SmugColditz Mon 08-Sep-08 23:23:03

Oh God she really was fucking naughty. No politically correct gentle mischieviousness that was corrected by the end of the chapter. She wasn't hardly ever remorseful. Here's an excerpt...

"I shall dig in the sand and throw it over everybody!" said Naughty Amelia Jane. "And I shall get my pail and fill it full of water and pour it down the golly's neck. Ho, won't he jump!"
"You;ll do nothing of the sort, Amelia JAne," said the golliwog at once. "You know how often you've promised to be good. Well, just you remember your promise."
"And I shall push the clockwork clown into a rock pool and make him sit there with all his clothes on," said Amelia JAne with a naughty giggle.
"You Mustn't!" cried the clown, in alarm. "If you do that, my clockwork will get rusty and I shan't wind up properly - then I won't be able to walk any more, or turn head over heels!"

She thre sand over the golden haired doll, and it went into her eyes dreadfully. She cried and the golliwog had to find his handkerchief and comfort her. Whilst he was patting and wiping the sand out of her eyes, Amelia Jane was filling her pail from a pool.
She crept up behind the golliwog and tipped the pail of cold water down his black neck!
"Ooooo-ow-ooo!" yelled the golliwog, jumping about twelve inches in the air with fright. "YOu wicked doll, Amelia Jane, I told you not to!"
Amelia Jane thought it was such a funny joke that she rolled over and over in the sand, laughing.

See? She's horrible!

EachPeachPearMum Mon 08-Sep-08 23:25:49

Well, the story that shocked me most was shen she taught the little clockwork mouse how to strike matches shock
And as he was dim, he then went on to set the nursery on fire!

SmugColditz Mon 08-Sep-08 23:27:21

Oh yes, I rememebr that one, that was a bit of a shocker.

EachPeachPearMum Mon 08-Sep-08 23:32:25

OMG- Colditz- are you quoting verbatim???

SmugColditz Mon 08-Sep-08 23:34:24

Verbatim. Typing directly from the book, which I have right here next to me. Pages 42, 43, and 44 of Naughty Amelia Jane, printed in 1939 by Darrel Waters Ltd

IDoEverything Mon 08-Sep-08 23:35:50

snort snort, yes we've recently read both of those.

Have to say that as an adult I was a bit shock

But that is why it is sooo good. Dd was shock too which is why she enjoys them. She knows how naughty it is do stuff like that & she would never actually do it. But to read about it..... ho ho ho all the way to the library (IYSWIM!)

I think that is the appeal for most kids.

SmugColditz Mon 08-Sep-08 23:39:12

The book I have was mine, and I remember the thrill of how utterly beyond the pale she was. Ds1 (5 yrs)is fairly thrilled too, especially as he behaves just like her sometimes!

EachPeachPearMum Mon 08-Sep-08 23:39:17

Ah! I meant from memory grin

(btw OT- did you see my answer to yr thread the other day? Are you sleeping enough???)

IDoEverything- y'see my DD (2.7)is so good (I mean really, we're talking Stepford Child here!) that there is no way I want her to know how to be naughty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now