Talk

Advanced search

the dark is rising

(9 Posts)
BBBee Tue 26-Aug-08 09:12:22

have started dark is rising with ds - he is only 8 so is struggling a bit to keep up - but the early scence where the snow falls int he roof gave us both racing hearts and goose bumps.

Shall I perserve or wait until he is older?

CaptainKarvol Tue 26-Aug-08 09:25:42

I remember loving these at about 9 or 10, and finding them thrillingly spooky. Maybe wait a bit until he can really appreciate them? He won't be 'too old' for them at that age.

TooTicky Tue 26-Aug-08 09:25:51

I do like you Bee.
I read this and enjoyed it but I can't remember how old I was [well-meaning but unhelpful]

pooka Tue 26-Aug-08 09:29:25

The Dark is Rising sequence is a fantastic series of books. Recently bought an omnibus edition, with Over Sea Under Stone, Greenwitch, The Dark is Rising and The Grey King.

Age-wise, is your ds reading it himself? As a "read-to" book, 8 seems fine. But for him to read it himself - depends how fluent he is.

They are great books though... DD is only 5 and so I've re-read them myself!

cmotdibbler Wed 27-Aug-08 21:24:28

I'd have thought 8 was a bit young - they are quite scary in places. Silver on the Tree gave me nightmares for ages, and I first read it when I was 12 or so.

I always read the Dark is Rising at Christmas

christywhisty Wed 27-Aug-08 22:10:46

DS had it out on cd from the library quite a few times. I think he was about 9 or 10 then.

pushchair Wed 27-Aug-08 22:17:42

Who writes these? My eldest might enjoy them

Uriel Wed 27-Aug-08 22:24:57

Susan Cooper.

pushchair Wed 27-Aug-08 22:33:17

Ta

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now