Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Books for 1.5 year old - complex illustrations but stories not over her head?

(42 Posts)
vesela Sat 02-Aug-08 13:59:29

I'm looking for some recommendations for my 1.5 year-old. She likes more complex illustrations at the moment - especially of people - but a lot of the next-stage-up books seem to have concepts or plots that are too complex for her at the moment (or are kind of gimmicky).

What good books are there for this age group that feature children and their parents doing things? She's currently besotted with the Mog books - people waving bye bye, blowing their noses etc. etc. I don't want her to be bored of them by the time she appreciates the stories more, though (or does that not happen - i.e. if a book is a favourite from the start, does it stay popular as they get older?)

She also likes Shirley Hughes - All Shapes and Sizes (I'm planning to get more of the Nursery Collection). The Ladybird fairytale books - things like the Little Red Hen - have also been a huge hit.

I have The Baby's Catalogue on my list...

Bink Sat 02-Aug-08 14:07:34

John Burningham - any and all, but very especially Would You Rather - which is about choices & suits everyone from 18 mths to 95 yrs - our favourite is "Would you rather ... your mum had a row in a café [picture of red-faced mother haranguing a waitress while lots of ladies in tea-cosy hats stare] ... or ... your dad did a dance at school?" [picture of cavorting father, and child frozen in horror]

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 02-Aug-08 14:13:05

She might like the Dorling Kindersley books of children/people from different countries - they are photographs and feature people doing day to day things, jobs etc.

Umlellala Sat 02-Aug-08 14:13:41

Anything by Allan and Janet Ahlberg but especially Peepo!

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 02-Aug-08 14:14:39

here

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 02-Aug-08 14:16:00

sorry, link doesn't seem to work

vonsudenfed Sat 02-Aug-08 14:21:54

A very cheap solution that rather took us by surprise, is toy and baby things catalogue. DD (now 20 months) can sit and read these for ages - lots of babies, children, toys and so on!

Also Wibbly Pig and Kipper go down well, and Barefoot books do some lovely simple board books with interesting illustrations - try Cleo the Cat and the Bear series.

EachPeachPearMum Sat 02-Aug-08 14:32:12

I second Ahlberg- 'Each Peach Pear Plum' and Peepo have loads going on in the pictures.
Anything illustrated by Axel Scheffler- so the Julia Donaldson books- Gruffalo, Gruffalo's child, Charlie Cook's Favourite Book, etc
Have you seen the Usborne 'First 100 words' book? That has tons of things in the pictures- there's no story, but you sit together and make up a story, or talk about whats happening, and there's loads of different locations- house, park, garden, busy street, farm, etc etc

EachPeachPearMum Sat 02-Aug-08 14:34:50

And 'You Choose' by Nick Sharratt

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 02-Aug-08 14:36:53

EachPeach, yes agree with 'Each Peach Pear Plum ' grin
!

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 02-Aug-08 14:37:11

And Axel Scheffler of course...

EachPeachPearMum Sat 02-Aug-08 14:52:23

Umm- yes- Cleo the Cat books are lovely!

Now MAS- if only I could remember what your rl name was....! I can see the cover, but can't visualise any writing!

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 02-Aug-08 17:36:35

What book were you thinking of EachPeach / one of mine ??

EachPeachPearMum Sat 02-Aug-08 19:49:08

yes! With the aeroplpane on

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Sat 02-Aug-08 19:51:35

My ds (15m) is in love with Clare Beaton books atm, in fact anything with lions in

Habbibu Sat 02-Aug-08 19:53:35

Anything illustrated by Russell Ayto - fab fab funny busy drawings.

TotalChaos Sat 02-Aug-08 19:55:20

Benedict Blathwaite (?sp) who I think writes the Little Red Train books (and others without trains) does gorge illustrations.

PortAndLemon Sat 02-Aug-08 19:56:23

More More More, Said The Baby is good.

DS loved Hairy Maclary at that age (and since) although they don't fit your "children and their parents doing things" description.

mamadiva Sat 02-Aug-08 19:57:23

The Hungry Caterpillar is fab and Dear Zoo.

Don't know if youv'e heard oif Redhouse but the do lots of kids books and they are alot cheapoer than shops and have free delivery. I'm always picking up bpooks for my DS from them.

Here

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 02-Aug-08 20:08:46

ah, that's What I like, I think...the Gervase Phinn poetry book

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 02-Aug-08 20:11:52

for EachPeachPearMum - how kind of you to remember it !

pippylongstockings Sat 02-Aug-08 20:45:30

DK my first word book is great - pictures of stuff real photo's - both my two have loved it.

vesela Sat 02-Aug-08 23:30:51

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm enjoying looking them up.

PortandLemon - dogs are good too! She loves the one Hairy McLary book we have so far (HM's Bone). She definitely likes a story she can get to know - one of the reasons she likes the Little Red Hen etc. so much.

We have the DK word book - she loves that, too.

TheQueenIsDead Sat 02-Aug-08 23:32:12

DS2 adored the Baby's Catalogue. Definitely buy it. Also anything else by the Ahlbergs.

PortAndLemon Sun 03-Aug-08 00:02:39

What Shall We Do With The Boo-Hoo Baby was also a big hit around that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now