Talk

Advanced search

children forgetting books

(3 Posts)
redpyjamas Sat 02-Aug-08 11:36:45

I mentioned to my dd the other day a certain book that I used to read night after night for a while when my dd was about 3.

She's 7 now. She had no memory of it, even though she used to love it. However, she did remember other books that I also used to read a lot during the same time period.

In your mumsnet opinions, at/after what age do you think a child will not forget a book? Not necessarily the whole story, but at least the general book and remember having read it? Not sure how well worded that question is, but hopefully it makes enough sense.

Just wondering realy.

edam Sat 02-Aug-08 11:43:30

Children don't have total recall of everything they did four years ago (and neither do we), otherwise their brain wouldn't be able to handle new stuff. Forgetting is an essential part of memory!

And I'm quite capable of forgetting that I've read a book, and I'm in my 30s. Or at least, not being sure when it comes up in conversation - did I actually read that or just the reviews? Did I read a completely different book by the same author? Or a book with a similar title by a different author...?

EustaciaVye Mon 11-Aug-08 11:02:45

My DD1 is 4.5. She remembers some books and not others, but if she has forgotten it's like a new different experience all over again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now