Talk

Advanced search

Dogger - Shirley Hughes

(22 Posts)
feelingharddoneby Mon 21-Jul-08 21:01:48

Does anyone still read this to their DC's? I read it for DD tonight and found that pathetic woman that I am I still sob slightly over this sentimental story. Its so old fashioned now but the idea of losing a favourite toy is something a child can really relate to

MarkStretch Mon 21-Jul-08 21:02:55

I love this story. My mum read it to me and now I read it to dd. I even heard Chris Moyles talking about it on the radio the other day saying it was one of his favourites too!

RubySlippers Mon 21-Jul-08 21:03:13

i LOVE this book

my mum has my old copy of it at her house and i read it to DS when we were there last

the illustrations are fab, altho a touch dated grin

RustyBear Mon 21-Jul-08 21:04:13

My DCs are a little old for this now (20 & 18) grin but they used to love it & it's in my box of favourites in the loft to be kept for grandchildren.

funnypeculiar Mon 21-Jul-08 21:04:49

Oh, yes, read it to dd tonight - every bloody time bella swops the new teddy for dogger I get all sniffy. Reminds me of my chilodhood too - the mother looks just how i remember my mum from that time period.

Dh hates it - "sentimental tosh" grin

WinkyWinkola Mon 21-Jul-08 21:05:23

It's a really great story. My DS (3) loves it. Classic illustrations. Like that Peepo book.

My DH had to go and spoil it by giving Dogger a sexual connotation. Berk.

feelingharddoneby Mon 21-Jul-08 21:07:25

hmm Dogger has a SEXUAL connotation??? How? Please do enlighten us.

We also read Burglar Bill tonight - anyone remember that one? Still makes me laugh

funnypeculiar Mon 21-Jul-08 21:16:23

Hummm, dogging??

WinkyWinkola Mon 21-Jul-08 21:20:20

When the book arrived in the post, DH started sniggering and managed to stutter out the word, "Dogging," from his suffocating hysterical laughter.

DH is infantile in his views on farts, breasts and bottoms. He went to public school. I gave him a withering glare and stalked off to read Dogger with DS who loves it.

I must get Burglar Bill.

feelingharddoneby Mon 21-Jul-08 21:20:32

Your DH has a strange mind. Never even thought of it myself!!

WelliesAndPyjamas Mon 21-Jul-08 21:22:18

popular with us as well
I really like the illustrations

Hassled Mon 21-Jul-08 21:28:10

I have it put aside for the grandchildren as well . The illustrations are wonderful.

Another one I re-read to DS3 recently is Gorilla by ANthony Browne - surreal drawings, also very poignant.

WendyWeber Mon 21-Jul-08 21:31:47

I can't read Dogger aloud for the grapefruit-sized lump in my throat blush

All Shirley Hughes drawings are dated, RS, but it's a major part of their charm & they are so detailed you can lose yourself in them.

(I love Shirley Hughes smile)

WendyWeber Mon 21-Jul-08 21:32:43

I love B Bill too - often find myself saying in a gruff voice "thassa nice bottle of wine, I'll 'ave that!"

everlong Mon 21-Jul-08 22:55:22

Lovely book, we have the huge one, which is a bit of pain to read to ds whilst he's tucked up in bed!

Bonifacio Tue 22-Jul-08 09:02:41

I love that book, my mum used to read it to me, and Burgler Bill! I wander if she still has them tucked away somewhere for when she gets grandchildren. I bet she has. I am going to call her now!

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 09:05:51

dh won't read Dogger to dd it upsets him too much, the big softy grin

we are big Burglar Bill fans though
'runfrit!' is in common usage

cmotdibbler Tue 22-Jul-08 20:22:19

Dogger is just lovely - beautiful illustrations and the story is so sweet

bossybritches Tue 22-Jul-08 20:53:23

Big SH fans here- I LOVE the illustrations & the way the children are all so scruffy & rumpled like REAl KIDS!! grin

Badgermoose Wed 23-Jul-08 15:30:51

Choke up not only with Dogger but also with Annie Rose is my Little sister, (picture of Annie Rose and alfie holding hands and saying she is my little sister and we be like that always even until we are grown ups, snivelling even typing this, I'm so sad!). DD loves both of them.

KM1 Mon 11-Aug-08 21:27:14

Just seen this thread after being away for 2 weeks. Dogger is one of my favourite children's books of all time - so much so that I had to buy it in hardback so that it will last! I adore Shirley Hughes and we have most of her books. My children surprised me for Christmas last year by giving me a very old copy of "Lucy and Tom's Day" which is out of print. Unfortunately my dcs are a bit old for them now at 7 and 11 but we still dig them out from time to time.

WowOoo Mon 11-Aug-08 21:29:02

I bloody love this book. Shame my son doesn't really appreciate the artwork. He'll grow into it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now