Talk

Advanced search

I need some new ideas for books to read to dd (nearly 6)

(107 Posts)
imaginaryfriend Wed 28-May-08 23:10:50

She's only just moved from me reading her picture books to reading her chapter books. I've found it quite hard to come up with things that appeal to her, but thanks to some great suggestions on here I've had huge success with:

Princess Mirror-Belle stories
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
George's Marvellous Medicine (Roald Dahl although she doesn't like any of his other books)
Arabel's Raven
Pinnocchio
All the Amelia Jane stories

She generally seems to favour books which are quite funny and a little bit surreal / magical. She hasn't liked any of the Animal Ark type stories, nor the Magic Unicorn / fairy type books.

I'd love some new suggestions. I've just started an Ottoline book by Chris Riddell but she's not too impressed so far!

rosealbie Wed 28-May-08 23:13:19

How about Enid Blyton's 'The Faraway Tree'? I know some people aren't keen on Blyton stories these days but I used to love reading this.

imaginaryfriend Wed 28-May-08 23:14:51

I don't have a problem with Enid Blyton - dd's adored the Amelia Jane books but she didn't go for The Faraway Tree. I don't think she was drawn to any of the characters.

rosealbie Wed 28-May-08 23:17:08

My ds (6) loves the Dirty Bertie books! My dd listens to them too and thinks they are funny. Toilet humour though.

WigWamBam Wed 28-May-08 23:18:30

Dd liked (still does) things like Pippi Longstocking, Tom's Midnight Garden, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

imaginaryfriend Wed 28-May-08 23:18:45

Aren't they picture books rather than chapter books though? I've wondered about the Horrid Henry books.

rosealbie Wed 28-May-08 23:19:15

Yes, Horrid Henry good too.

imaginaryfriend Wed 28-May-08 23:20:26

I was convinced dd would like Pippi Longstocking, I thought it would be perfect, but she doesn't.

I'd love to read her the other two you mentioned WWB but I don't think she's 'mature' enough to handle them. She likes quite simple and direct stories so far and won't listen to anything with much of a preamble. Sigh ...

I tried some of the moomin books and she hated them!

tigana Wed 28-May-08 23:20:49

Lion Witch & Wardrobe? Or is that too 'fairy-type'?

rosealbie Wed 28-May-08 23:22:03

How about Grimms fairy tales - I loved these too.

imaginaryfriend Wed 28-May-08 23:22:29

Tigana - she likes fairy things but not when they're too sugary-sweet. I wonder about C.S. Lewis ... Maybe she would go for that.

imaginaryfriend Wed 28-May-08 23:23:33

Yes, Grimms would be good. She loved, absolutely loved, the original story of Pinocchio. And embarrassingly she loved a book by Madonna someone got her for Christmas, called 'Lotsa da Casha' ... yuck.

tigana Wed 28-May-08 23:24:53

Narnia not v sugary imo.
How about childs versions of greek myths? My Dad read these to me as a young child. Loved them. Theseus, perseus, Jason & argonauts and Aphrodite in the underworld etc.

WigWamBam Wed 28-May-08 23:25:09

What about something like A Bear called Paddington, or Olga da Polga?

hana Wed 28-May-08 23:32:48

My Naughty Little Sister?

imaginaryfriend Wed 28-May-08 23:40:11

Paddington was a no-no.

Who wrote Olga da Polga?

Yes, My Naughty Little Sister has been on my list too, thanks for reminding me!

MaltesersAndMarmite Thu 29-May-08 06:05:18

Have you tried the Sophie books by Dick King-Smith? DD1 (5) loved these, and they were a pleasure to read aloud as well. She also loved the Horrid Henry books, and we have also read some of Rumer Godden's such as The Fairy Doll, Holly and Ivy and The Doll's House.

imaginaryfriend Thu 29-May-08 09:09:55

I've got some of the Sophie books, kindly given to me by a MNetter, we should try those next.

I think I'll definitely put one of the Horrid Henry books on my Amazon order.

Rumer Godden hasn't appealed to dd so far but I'll maybe give her another try.

Thanks!

mumoftwo37 Thu 29-May-08 09:12:42

Have a look at Redhouse they have some excellent deals on childrens books and usually have a good selection. Also, I have found on many occasions that Waterstones is actually cheaper than Amazon and I think they have free delivery at the moment.

imaginaryfriend Thu 29-May-08 09:18:17

I've ordered from Redhouse before actually but I prefer to have a title in mind before I start looking. I've bought a lot of things that dd just doesn't like so am being a bit more picky now.

nailpolish Thu 29-May-08 09:22:21

KATIE MORAG

they are hilarious

The Lighthouse Keepers Lunch

another funny one

wooga Thu 29-May-08 10:06:39

The Quigleys books by Simon Mason are really good-my ds loves them!

They're about a family-Mum,Dad,Will and Lucy Quigley and each book has several stories about them.

They're especially good because they have 'real' characters that aren't perfect all the time and there is a lot of humour in them too!grin

MaltesersAndMarmite Thu 29-May-08 10:10:58

Try charity shops for Horrid HEnry books. They are only four chapters long and we normally get through them in one day. Much better to pick one up for 50p, then £4, especially if you're not sure whether she will like them. What about the Beverly Clearly Ramona books, though I'm not sure these are still in print.

imaginaryfriend Thu 29-May-08 18:19:16

I used to love the Ramona books - is that Ramona the Pest?

Good plan re. the Henry books. There are tons aren't there? Maybe I'll look on ebay for some.

Collision Thu 29-May-08 18:21:28

Try Flat Stanley
Dragon in class Four
Magic treehouse (not faraway tree)
Mr Majeika

DS (6) loves all of these

we have already read Faraway Tree and Wishing Chair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now