Talk

Advanced search

Magic Faraway Tree books

(24 Posts)
BooseysMom Mon 08-Jul-19 06:53:31

When i was little i adored anything by Enid Blyton. I owned all the Faraway Tree books in the 70s then as time went on they were all re-printed and the old-fashioned names like Dick and Fanny were updated. I have one of the books from 1991 and the old names are still used. DS has taken an interest in the book from looking at the front cover. (Pic attached) So i'm wondering should i get the modern version or read this one to him? Advice very welcome. Thank you.

PollyPocketLucyLocket Mon 08-Jul-19 06:59:46

This series is a also a childhood favourite of mine. I bought the new version, however if I'd had the originals, I'd have just given DC that.

FrontRowSeat Mon 08-Jul-19 06:59:47

Definitely the classic version! Such a wonderful series of books. I enjoyed them over and over as a child and am now enjoying them all over again with my own children. The original language is harmless and simply a sign of those times. I was really annoyed when they updated the books. Hope your DS enjoys them.

babbi Mon 08-Jul-19 07:02:08

Definitely classic version !
I have such happy memories of reading this many times over with my DD - enjoy 😊

YoungEurope Mon 08-Jul-19 07:02:34

Definitely the classic version.
I loved those books. Silky, Moonface and the slide inside the tree, happy memories!

babbi Mon 08-Jul-19 07:07:09

Oh and just to say - I read numerous EB books to my DD and as she got older we would discuss any less than PC phrases that were included - was like going down a rabbit hole in terms of where it got us - everything from the days that so many mums just stayed home as it was expected etc - to comments ( stereotyping) re other nationalities) and how times were changed ..

Incidentally my friend asked me the other day why my DD had such strong views re woman’s rights and politicsin general- I claimed to be bewildered- as I was but now as I type this I am wondering?!?

FreeFreesia Mon 08-Jul-19 07:10:51

Definitely read the classic to him. He's drawn in by the cover & that's part of the reading experience, learning to choose & your own tastes. It's brilliant that you can share the actual book you enjoyed as a child with him don't diminish that experience by replacing it with one with a modern cover.

polkadotjersey Mon 08-Jul-19 07:19:50

These were my favourite books as a child and I've read them to several classes I've taught as well. The children loved them just as much as I did. I read the classic versions but omitted references to golliwogs and we had some great discussions about the girls having to do all the ironing while the boys dug in the garden.

Awrite Mon 08-Jul-19 07:23:25

Go with the classic version. Definitely.

My all time favourite series of books. My Dad read them to me. I don't remember him reading me anything else. I reread them myself and then, of course, read them to my kids.

MsJuniper Mon 08-Jul-19 07:26:08

Someone gave my son a set of Wishing Chair books which were a recent edition and I could not believe the pixie was called "Chinky". Fortunately it was before he could read so I just referred to him as "Pixie" throughout.

Hopefully no such issue with TFT but I'd definitely be reading it to myself first.

Nautiloid Mon 08-Jul-19 07:28:09

Mine all loved them. I don't think it matters which one you read, even in the modern versions there were occasional sentences I missed out because they seemed inappropriate today, but for the most part, i read them all to them and they're still favourites.

HumphreyCobblers Mon 08-Jul-19 07:29:59

Go with the classic one, if you try with a modern version you will stumble over ever name change when you read it aloud.

I adored these books and my two oldest dc did too.

BooseysMom Mon 08-Jul-19 07:31:27

Wow! Thank you everyone for replying. Yes he's certainly drawn in by the cover. The problem was i started reading the first chapter and it was obvious they had already found the Faraway Tree so i stopped and said i'd have to find The Enchanted Wood as it's the first one so i'm just looking for that, then will get The Magic Faraway Tree and Up the Faraway Tree. I wish i still had my originals. Remember Mr Pink Whistle and Mr Twiddle! So un-PC but such lovely innocent childhood times. I also loved Chimney Corner stories, Fireside Tales, the Wishing Chair, and it almost makes me cry remembering them!

mrssmiling Sun 14-Jul-19 08:37:48

You should be able to find copies on Ebay....versions with original text are more expensive, as scarcer, and really nice copies will cost more.
Worth buying the older Enid Blyton books though...they bring back so many memories!

BooseysMom Sun 14-Jul-19 19:42:42

@mrssmiling.. thank you. I just worry that i spend more on an older version and my DS won't like it! I used to have all of the earlier books but i scribbled all over them and my DM threw them out sad

mrssmiling Sun 14-Jul-19 19:53:12

I think you would find it easy to sell the older versions if he didn’t like them - they are harder to find, and quite collectable. Apparently there are plans to make a Faraway Tree film, so there will be increased interest in the books.

mrssmiling Sun 14-Jul-19 19:55:49

Here’s the link re film... www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42053334

ScreamingValenta Sun 14-Jul-19 19:57:16

Just to add - the older versions have references to corporal punishment, which are excised in the new versions. Dame Slap becomes Dame Snap - because heaven forbid an evil character should actually slap someone shock.

missyB1 Sun 14-Jul-19 20:00:23

OMG can’t believe there’s going to be a film! I’m so excited!!

Pepperstripe Sun 14-Jul-19 20:01:28

I love EB! It did make me laugh re-reading The Famous Five - All men with beards are ruffians and thieves, along with gypsy circus folk!

MysweetAudrina Sun 14-Jul-19 20:12:55

I read them to mine but they kept laughing everytime I said dick or fanny.

BooseysMom Mon 15-Jul-19 20:43:38

@MysweetAudrina.. that's hilarious.! At 5 mine is still too young to understand it so Dick & Fanny are perfectly normal names!

Mrscog Mon 15-Jul-19 20:48:32

I’ve got the new and old versions....however I’m so totally bored by it! The Enchanted Wood was my favourite but I’m really struggling to stay awake reading it to DS!

BooseysMom Mon 15-Jul-19 21:23:13

@Mrscog.. yeah this is exactly why i'm not sure it will hold DS's attention for long. If i decide to buy them, i know most say go for the older versions but i reckon the newer ones might be better somehow? Not sure though confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »