Talk

Advanced search

Books for 9 year old, funny short stories or short chapters

(14 Posts)
lolbrador Tue 25-Jun-19 20:49:59

Can anyone recommend any short stories or books with short chapters? Dd likes the "daisy and the trouble with" books but has zoomed through them. She doesn't seem to have the attention span to read books with larger chapters yet. Thanks

KatieHannahBen Tue 25-Jun-19 21:54:06

Hi my nine year old daughters favorite book in the world is The Top Secret Diary of Davina Dupree by S K Sheridan. She has read it loads of times, which I'm glad about as she's not always into reading but she can't put this one down!

SavoyCabbage Tue 25-Jun-19 21:54:59

The 13th story treehouse series.

Muddlingalongalone Tue 25-Jun-19 22:02:16

Have a look at the demon dinner ladies books - there are a few. Dd1 seems to race through them the same way she did with daisy.
I've not read them so can't comment on chapter length.

Ricekrispie22 Wed 26-Jun-19 05:21:09

A lot of the Roald Dahl books have chapters that are only a few pages.
Dork Diaries uses drawings, doodles, and comic strips.
Puffin Book of Stories for Nine Year Olds
Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls
Ladybird Tales of Adventurous Girls
Enid Blyton Summer Holiday Stories and Summer Adventure Stories
Noel Streatfeild’s Holiday Stories
World’s Worst Children
Judy Moody series
Clarice Bean series
Maisie Mae series
Dotty Detective series
Ottoline series

Giraffecantdanse Wed 26-Jun-19 05:46:41

Jacqueline Wilson books are great.

lolbrador Wed 26-Jun-19 07:16:53

Thank you for all of these suggestions. I'm trying to spark off the same love of reading I have, but she's much more keen to spend her time upside down in any sort of gymnastics manoeuvre. Not the best relaxation method at bedtime! Off to the bookshop today smile

BlueChampagne Wed 26-Jun-19 13:39:54

How to Train your Dragon?

puffylovett Wed 26-Jun-19 13:41:04

My 9 year old (boy) refuses to read but is loving the How to train your dragon series. Also loved the worlds worst children books.

BlueMerchant Wed 26-Jun-19 13:42:32

Worlds worst children
( I know DW isn't very popular on here but we love his books)

BlueChampagne Fri 28-Jun-19 15:52:11

Might also be worth looking at magazines, such as The Phoenix and Aquila?

Ricekrispie22 Sat 29-Jun-19 07:38:15

Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf - made up on several individual stories.
Bogwopit has very short chapters - about 2 pages each! And lots of illustrations

FreeFreesia Sun 30-Jun-19 16:28:06

Mudpuddle Farm - Morpurgo no deaths and dry humour.

BikeRunSki Sun 30-Jun-19 16:43:54

Try the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. I have no idea why they are not better kniwn, but they are fabulous. Stories about little girl (Ramona) and her big sister. They are told from Ramona’s point of view, they are funny, touching and endearing. They are set in the US, but you wouldn’t notice apart from a bit of vocabulary. The first one was written in the 1950s and the most recent one in the 2000s. Again, none of the content is particularly tied to its time, so they have aged brilliantly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »