Talk

Advanced search

Books for a boy who loves reading and is going through a very hard time with his Dad who bullies him

(32 Posts)
NeverTwerkNaked Sun 23-Jun-19 22:38:54

He's 10, he loves gentle books, nothing too scary or dark.
He is currently refusing to see his dad, dad was very emotionally abusive to me and it seems like DS has been experiencing the same and it is all coming out.

So I would love any recommendations of books that either
- are gentle /humorous and not scary at all
- or might help him explore /make sense of some of the complex emotions he is going through right now

Iggly Sun 23-Jun-19 22:41:08

Diary of a Wimpy Kid books?
The treehouse series?

Does he like fantasy books at all? Robin Hobb books are lovely. Not majority scary - yes there is a good v bad element in all fantasy books but I don’t remember being scared by them. I used to read them a lot as escapism.

I’d also look into any counselling for him perhaps.

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 23-Jun-19 22:48:05

He's having counselling "Iggly", I think that's what has helped him have the courage to decide he can't put up with it any more.

I will look into the fantasy book, thank you. That might be perfect.He loves the treehouse and wimpy kid books but has read them so many times now!

DipDabLollyPop Sun 23-Jun-19 22:50:18

He's the right age for Harry Potter and would love it it's pure escapsim. The Hobbit is also good escapsim written specifically for his age.

GenuineKlatchianPottery Sun 23-Jun-19 22:53:24

Terry Pratchett wrote some lovely children’s books. My DDs grew up on them, along with Harry Potter.

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 23-Jun-19 22:58:25

Oh gosh no Harry Potter would be far too scary for him! He's like me, and I could barely cope with HP as an adult! I only read the first couple of books and they were too much for me blush

Xiaoxiong Sun 23-Jun-19 22:58:37

My sons are very much enjoying the Green Knowe books by Lucy Boston and if you are anywhere near Cambridge you can visit the house!

All the Diana Wynne Jones books. Try him on Charmed Life, if he likes it he can go on and read all the Chrestomanci books. Eight Days of Luke and Dogsbody are great too.

Xiaoxiong Sun 23-Jun-19 23:00:29

Oh yes Terry Pratchett! The Witches vacuum cleaner and Dragons at Crumbling Castle are collections of shorter stories for kids.

Has he read all the traditional kids classics - Wind in the Willows, E Nesbit books, Swallows and Amazons, Just William?

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 23-Jun-19 23:05:55

Oh Just William could be perfect!

Ohyesiam Sun 23-Jun-19 23:07:54

Does he like nature?
My very sensitive nature loving boy really loved the Little house on the Prairie series, by Laura Ingles wilder.

They are an amazing journal of the lives of American pioneers starting in the early 1870 s living on a log cabin with no amenities. The family are close and loving, as well as courageous and incredibly hard working.
The descriptions of nature and the animals who they all live so closely with are really beautiful.

I loved them so much as a child that I went to the states to visit the museum that was Laura’s last home.

The books are filled with hope and possibilities, and are subtle and straightforward at the same time.

Make sure you read them in order!

Olliphant Sun 23-Jun-19 23:10:19

I second swallows and Amazon's...gentle and sweet but with adventure. Also famous five, predictable but exciting XX. Good luck, your little boy sounds gorgeous and he is lucky to have such a thoughtful mum x

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 23-Jun-19 23:10:34

Oh I loved the little house on the prairie books!

Xiaoxiong Sun 23-Jun-19 23:10:54

I went through quite an animal book phase around that age as well - Tarka the otter, Jock of the Bushveldt, Misty of Chinqoteague, King of the Wind.

Joan Aiken books as well, I loved Go Saddle the Sea and its sequels but also the wolves of willougby Chase.

ItsInTheSpoon Sun 23-Jun-19 23:13:40

The Jennings books by Anthony Buckeridge are absolutely great. They are very funny. There are loads, but only a few currently in print
eg
amazon.co.uk/Jennings-Goes-School-Anthony-Buckeridge/dp/0755113683/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=jennings+books+anthony+buckeridge&qid=1561327910&s=gateway&sprefix=jennin&sr=8-1]]

Beeseeinya Sun 23-Jun-19 23:14:02

The Phantom Tollbooth
Roald Dahl books
Robin Hobb books get very weird after the first couple in the series, I'd look into the plot first to see if too scary. Might be if you can't handle potter.
How to train your dragon series
Eragon series
Enid Blyton books

ItsInTheSpoon Sun 23-Jun-19 23:15:20

Sorry, link doesn’t seem to work but “Jennings goes to school”, the first in the series, is available from amazon

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 23-Jun-19 23:19:49

The Jennings ones could be good, I think my brother used to read them, will take a look, may be able to dig his old ones out!

LionsHeart Sun 23-Jun-19 23:20:07

Terry Pratchett - timeless wisdom delivered tongue-in-cheek.

chilledteacher Sun 23-Jun-19 23:21:18

Swiss Family Robinson, Robinson Crusoe?

MrsElijahMikaelson1 Sun 23-Jun-19 23:22:59

Roald Dahl
David Walliams
Diary of a wimpy kid
Tom Gates

MadamNoo Mon 24-Jun-19 07:52:30

My 10 year old boy was very into the wings of fire series- warring tribes of dragons but there’s actually lots about friendship and relationships in there. Quite gentle and age appropriate and escapist.

jackparlabane Mon 24-Jun-19 08:05:33

Lots of beatings and death in LIW - be warned. Much as I loved them, I can't read them to ds (10) as too scary and dd7 needed a few bits glossed over and lots of explanation of the Wild West and Christianity.

One with a bullying dad - Nobody's family is going to change, by Louise Fitzhugh (the teenage girl and dancing brother eventually pursue their interests and dad has to lump it)

Pratchett is going down well with the 10yo.

PopGoesTheWeaz Mon 24-Jun-19 22:26:27

Really sorry he and you are going through this.

Mr Gum is pure silliness/nonsense. There is a villain, but he's a complete farce. so not scary at all. The Bolds is a similar vein.

My kids don't really like them, but I know they are popular: what about David Walliams?

PopGoesTheWeaz Mon 24-Jun-19 22:32:16

The uncommoners is a book about a fantasy world that's happending around us - so a bit like harry potter in that the protagonist is learning about the magic world as we the reader do, but not nearly as dark as HP - worth having a look.

FreeFreesia Tue 25-Jun-19 12:43:57

Jennings definitely. DS enjoyed a few.
Phantom Toll Booth
George's Secret Key to the Universe

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »