Talk

Advanced search

Story books for pre schoolers about art/artists?

(12 Posts)
myfingersarenotsogreen Thu 06-Jun-19 12:27:05

Sorry if this sounds a bit pretentious but I am basically trying to find a stroy to introduce Picasso ( and /or other famous artists) to 3 year olds!

Its part of an activity for Children’s art week. I came across the book Katie and the starry night, but its a bit too long and wordy for us. Any suggestions for a book along simmilar lines?

Many thanks

Starlight456 Thu 06-Jun-19 12:28:15

I think it is what Katie did series . My son lioved them . Place marking then will google

Starlight456 Thu 06-Jun-19 12:30:14

Found it . Katie and the waterlilly pond, Katie and the starry night. There is a whole series and Katie climbs in the paintings . There are loads more but that’s your starting point

Starlight456 Thu 06-Jun-19 12:31:10

Sorry just read the end of your post . My son sat through all of them over again

myfingersarenotsogreen Thu 06-Jun-19 14:27:04

Thanks for these suggestions. Its actually for a special needs setting so I think I’ll need to keep looking.

runoutofnamechanges Thu 06-Jun-19 14:45:22

DS had a picture story book with famous paintings when he was a toddler that we got from the Tate Modern. I can't remember what it was called (he's at uni now...) but I'm pretty sure I saw it in the bookshop not that long ago. If you can't find a story book, their art activity books are good too.

They don't seem to have the full range of books available online (there are loads of kids books in the shop) but here is the link:

shop.tate.org.uk/gifts/kids?prefn1=ShopProduct&prefn2=ShopProductType&sz=32&start=0&prefv1=true&prefv2=Books

Maybe you could call the shop and ask if they have anything suitable, if you can't get there in person?

Starlight456 Thu 06-Jun-19 16:00:30

Could you use the book and a very simplified version of the book?

myfingersarenotsogreen Thu 06-Jun-19 17:33:52

We could do that- the pictures are gorgeous. I was just looking to see if there is anything out there first.

Cyberworrier Thu 06-Jun-19 17:38:19

Not a book but there’s a cartoon series on Youtube called Art with Mati and Dada, about a little girl and her robot friend who basically time travel and meet artists from throughout art history. I use them in mainstream primary setting to introduce different artists and make it more approachable for children who don’t get much exposure of such things at home. Maybe not what you’re looking for but thought I’d say just in case

AristotlesTrousers Thu 06-Jun-19 17:39:26

Picasso's trousers by Nicholas Allen?

myfingersarenotsogreen Thu 06-Jun-19 21:52:56

Thanks @Aristotle Just what I had in mind. Amazing, mumsnet to the rescue again.

mrssmiling Mon 10-Jun-19 08:48:43

Picasso’s Trousers is perfect for pre-school!
This is another Picasso book you might like to know about, although for older children...
www.amazon.co.uk/Picasso-Girl-Ponytail-Anholts-Artists/dp/0711211779?tag=mumsnetforu03-21
The Tate bookshops are fantastic I agree - and the website has a great children’s section www.tate.org.uk/kids

Sent from my iPad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »