Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me remember this book?

(7 Posts)
MushroomTree Tue 04-Jun-19 19:55:24

I remember reading a book as a child with the most gorgeous illustrations. It was more picture book style than novel. The bits I remember are:

It was set in the Amazon rainforest or similar place
Boys in the tribe were sent on a right of passage
The protagonist is sent on his right of passage and told not to return to the tribe until he has found the most beautiful thing in the rainforest
During his journey he encounters many beautiful animals, birds, plants, flowers etc.
He also comes across large areas of deforestation and the westerners who are working there. Possibly that part was worded to imply it was wrong and they were destroying the jungle
The conclusion is that he returns to his tribe unable to decide what is the most beautiful thing because it all is and the elder(s) say that that is the right answer and the point of the quest.

I remember all the vivid colours and beautiful drawings of the parrots, frogs, flowers etc.

I'm 27 so we're talking about a book doing the rounds in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Anyone got any idea what I'm talking about?

MushroomTree Tue 04-Jun-19 19:56:21

*rite of passage. Sodding baby brain!

Kneehighinshit Tue 04-Jun-19 19:58:18

The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry?

MushroomTree Tue 04-Jun-19 20:03:55

Thanks kneehigh but that's not it. The plot was definitely based on the boy's rite of passage. I don't think he interacted with the westerners, just observed them as he made his way through the rainforest.

Kikanica Thu 06-Jun-19 09:52:01

Can anyone help? I need to know the name of a book I lost. Despite Reading lots and lots, we used to give it our own invented name. Its a story about a star that falls from the sky um the zoo and all the strong/big/long necked animals try to put it back in the sky, but only tiny, little ant can because she asks for all her ant friends help.
Thank you

violetmartini Thu 06-Jun-19 10:10:45

Kik the one you are talking about is Star of the Zoo

Kikanica Thu 06-Jun-19 12:37:13

Thank you Violet. Regards

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »