Talk

Advanced search

What to follow the Faraway Tree series?

(22 Posts)
DuchessSybilVimes Wed 29-May-19 10:51:51

Dd (5) is about halfway through the final book in Enid Blyton's Magic Faraway Tree series. These are the first 'big girl' books we've read - I read her a chapter each night as her bedtime story, she can't read on her own yet.

She has loved them and I've really enjoyed reading a chapter instead of a shorter picture book so I'm looking for something similar to move onto. I did think of sticking with Blyton and going to Famous Five or Secret Seven but I think they are a bit old for her still. She is very happy with Moon Face & Silky et al, and I really want something that has a similar "young" feel to it.

Any ideas?

MustardScreams Wed 29-May-19 10:54:31

I loved Enid Blyton’s Wishing Chair series at that age, which would probably a good follow on with a similar fantasy feel.

converseandjeans Wed 29-May-19 11:05:04

Amelia Jane

Whitetulipofpeace Wed 29-May-19 11:06:34

I second the wishing chair series. Very similar with visiting different fantasy lands and the like.

iknowimcoming Wed 29-May-19 11:12:53

The wishing chair ones are good as well as Amelia jane books and then maybe Roald Dahl the younger ones iyswim, James and giant peach etc

stucknoue Wed 29-May-19 11:28:33

Roald dahl, dd liked books set on farms so we had a large series of books about twins on a farm

DuchessSybilVimes Wed 29-May-19 11:38:56

Great! I'll get the Wishing Chair ones then, and dig out my old Dahls. Sure my parents kept a lot of my books - James & the Giant Peach is a good one to start with so long as I can get her through the first few chapters with the dying parents and horrible aunts! (She gets sad easily!)

girlsname Wed 29-May-19 11:56:06

Is she into fairies? My daughter is obsessed with the Rainbow Magic series by Daisy Meadows- there are hundreds in the series. I don't personally like reading them though, I find them quite irritating!

Roald Dahl- though some can be scary for a 5 year old.

APipkinOfPepper Wed 29-May-19 11:59:25

Mudpuddle farm series by Michael Morpurgo is good, think it was the first chapter type book for both of mine. Wishing chair is good too. The Worst Witch series perhaps?

DuchessSybilVimes Wed 29-May-19 13:47:34

Not particularly into fairies and I personally don't fancy reading anything that relies on a heavy amount of glitter on the front cover to sell! Also trying to avoid gendered books so will steer clear for now.

I have vague memories of the Worst Witch books so I will have a look at those.

This is really helpful!

Saisong Wed 29-May-19 13:49:43

Pippi Longstocking
Olga da Polga
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
Mrs Pepperpot

Saisong Wed 29-May-19 13:50:11

Oh and Moomins

PomBearWithAnOFRS Wed 29-May-19 23:54:16

Enid Blyton's Mr Galliano's Circus books are good, and there's a single circus one about a girl called Fenella too.
My Naughty Little Sister maybe, and Milly Molly Mandy - my DD loved those when she was small.

SuperLoudPoppingAction Wed 29-May-19 23:59:07

Whizziwig by malorie Blackman
Similarly magical and surreal

DuchessSybilVimes Thu 30-May-19 09:29:18

Ordered The Wishing Chair from ebay. Will look for the Blyton Circus ones as well, and the Malorie Blackman Whizziwig. Magical and surreal sounds good to me!

oreosoreosoreos Thu 30-May-19 09:47:14

Another votes for the wishing chair, and also Enid Blyton's O'clock stories - think they come in collections. We've also just finished reading the first in The Find-Outers and he enjoyed that too, but DS is nearly 6.

We've been able to get all of them from our local library, so might be worth having a look there?

DuchessSybilVimes Thu 30-May-19 10:02:21

I can't believe how much Blyton I missed as a child! I read the faraway tree books and all the Famous Five & Secret Seven but had no clue about the rest.

Will look in the library but its only small and does charge late fees on kids books (boo). For books like these that she can go back to and read again on her own I'd rather buy them. I love a full bookshelf!

Leeds2 Thu 30-May-19 20:54:32

Mr Majeika books by Humphrey Carpenter.

The Jolley-Rogers books by Jonny Duddle.

DuchessSybilVimes Fri 31-May-19 18:56:24

The Wishing Chair book arrived today, it looks perfect. DD is very happy to have her next book lined up!

Thank you, wise mumsnetters.

ScreamingValenta Fri 31-May-19 19:01:24

Coming on to say The Wishing Chair and I see it's already been recommended, ordered and received! I hope your DD enjoys it.

To add to the excellent Enid Blyton recommendations above, I loved the 'Mystery' series at your DD's age (Ring O'Bells Mystery was particularly spooky) and also the Adventure series (Castle of Adventure, Valley of Adventure.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Sat 01-Jun-19 01:49:02

Don't forget The Wishing Chair Again grin

eurochick Sat 01-Jun-19 02:39:30

We went from the Faraway Tree to the Wishing Chair and are now on the Island of Adventure series. All Blyton.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »