Talk

Advanced search

Books similar to the Twilight series?

(26 Posts)
stirling Fri 24-May-19 08:24:37

Hello,
Hoping someone can advise here as I'm at my wits end with DD (11) who was once an avid reader devouring 2 books a week and reading a wide genre.
Since I bought her the Twighlight books, she's been gripped, polished them off in a matter of days and is now re-reading them for the tenth time. She wakes up early to read and just seems obsessed.

I haven't read the books but am guessing the theme is vampire /teen romance?
Please tell me that there are other books along the same lines that are just as gripping. I can tell she is drawn to the male main character because of the way she was talking about him. So perhaps it's that element being that she's hormonal that is drawing her in.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Herocomplex Fri 24-May-19 08:39:54

That particular itch is a very hard one to scratch. There’s something about those books which was so unique that it’s hard to move on until it’s out of your system. It’s also a pretty dreadful theme, the male character completely controls every aspect of the female characters life, with the constant threat of violence as a consequence. But she’s read them now, and obviously getting an enormous amount of enjoyment!
You could try giving her Wuthering Heights? It’s a theme in the book, although challenging for a modern young audience.
There’s quite a lot in that genre, writers like Cassandra Clare are very popular. Or how about Mallory Black’s Noughts and Crosses?

ElephantsEatEggs Fri 24-May-19 08:51:35

Kelley Armstrong Darkest Powers trilogy then after that Darkness Rising Trilogy.

It features teens with supernatural powers, both sets of books focus on different abilities. I love Twilight as did my two sons and they also read Kelley.

www.kelleyarmstrong.com/series/darkest-powers-darkness-rising/

The first book is The Summoning. Be aware her other books are adult, so just these 6 at first.

Also Trudi Canavan Magician's Guild book, about magical ability. My youngest read this at 11 so although a weighty book, very engaging.

www.fantasticfiction.com/c/trudi-canavan/magicians-guild.htm

Hope she likes them.

stirling Fri 24-May-19 09:26:23

Brilliant, thank you both! Will look into the suggestions now.
Good to know there is such a lure. Bit worrying about the male control aspect Herocomplex, reminds me of the fact that I grew up with such a warped perspective on love and relationships thanks to an obsession with Mills and Boons books when I was young.

Noloudnoises Fri 24-May-19 09:30:02

His dark materials
The mortal something or other?
Hunger games
And perhaps you could dig around for those pointe horror books from the 90s.

I suspect it's a bit of the sexiness of Edwards that is making her go back again and again.... 😬

Noloudnoises Fri 24-May-19 09:30:48

In fact the bbc are doing an adaptation of his dark materials so would be good for her to read it before seeing it.

BringMeThatHorizon Fri 24-May-19 09:31:16

You could try Maggie Stiefvater - the Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Or Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series. Around the same age I also really liked a series by Marianne Curley, I think the first was called The Named.

ImportantWater Fri 24-May-19 09:31:18

How about The Changeover by Margaret Mahy. I haven't read Twilight
- I watched the film - so I don't know if it would tick all the boxes but it has a sexy (possibly, according to taste) troubled magic guy and a girl who is introduced to his world -but the girl is pretty kick-ass.

stirling Fri 24-May-19 11:38:34

Oh great, thanks for all of these wonderful suggestions.

greyby25 Fri 24-May-19 11:45:33

I read all the twilights whilst I was a teen. The vampire diaries were a good read after that, not too dissimilar in terms of themes but I think I enjoyed the vampire diaries more. X

MrsCharlesBrandon Fri 24-May-19 11:52:04

Vampire Diaries, definitely. Possibly Shadowhunters books by Cassandra Clare, Skulduggery Pleasant is still a massive hit with my 15yo and there's about 8 of them.

Mesmeri Fri 24-May-19 11:59:35

I agree about Margaret Mahy. I liked the Changeover very much as a teen. Others of hers include The Catalogue of the Universe, the Tricksters, Aliens in the Family.
I also got obsessed with KM.Peyton's Pennington series - the first one is called Pennington's Seventeenth Summer, although I think they re-printed it in the 90s and changed the title to Seventeenth Summer. Anyway, Pennington is a talented pianist but also a trouble maker/bad boy. I (and no doubt many others at the time) was very in love with him. And then there's the S.E.Hinton books, more page-turning, emotionally dramatic stuff about bad boys. I devoured it all.

And if all of that is too dated for her, what about the Hunger Games trilogy? Dark and pretty grim in places, but very adolescent and very readable.

KittyMcKitty Fri 24-May-19 12:05:18

I was going to say The Hunger Games also the Divergent series- my dd read these at 11 / 12 around the same time as Twilight. Also The Fault in our Stars, Northern Lights Trilogy and various things by Rainbow Rowell

randomsabreuse Fri 24-May-19 12:19:14

If she likes fantasy rather than vampires Tamora Pierce has some nice heroines.

I love Trudi Canavan

Garth Nix Abhorsen

Iwantamarshmallow Fri 24-May-19 12:26:25

The mortal instruments, divergent and I am number 4 are all really good book series

Autumnsloth Fri 24-May-19 12:38:44

As others have said, Dark Materials and Hunger Games... at that age I was gripped by 'Blood and Chocolate' by Annette Curtis Klause (werewolf story, control is a main theme but I think well handled i.e. main character struggles with it, but clearly depicted as a negative thing to be fought).

Not the same genre, but Jodi Piccoult books have those gripping plotlines - although perhaps check the plot, as some deal with heavy / possibly age inappropriate material.

notatwork Fri 24-May-19 12:42:28

I think the romance element in Twilight is a bit too intense for an 11YO tbh.
If it's romance she's interested in why not dilute it a bit with something funny like Angus, Things and perfect snogging?

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Fri 24-May-19 12:45:47

I would certainly try to wean her off Twilight - basically, human girl sits around while vampire boy and werewolf boy talk at her. Bella is an incredibly passive character. The author is a Mormon. The films are a lot better.

Hunger Games is a lot better.

MummatoaMunchkin Fri 24-May-19 15:28:46

I loved the Twilight series couldnt tell you why reread it a few times! Its not too my taste now but it kept me entertained at the time!

There is The Host by the same author thats good (about aliens but not your typical type) i hated it a first but kept on with it and in the end thought it was much better than twilight.

I love Cassandra Clares books i think your daughter would love them my favourite series is The Infernal Devices (i have them in paper back and on my kindle and reread them alot!) but The Mortal Instruments are very good too.

If she wants more vampires, there is The Vampire Diaries (i preferred the series!) but that has the same kind of romance as Twilight but Elena is less of a wimp than Bella lol 😂

Completely different genre but the selection by Keira Cass was brilliant and again i reread them.

Like other pps have said i would highly recommend any of the Kelley Armstrong books, his Dark Materials, The Hunger Games, Divergent, I am number 4, the Gareth Nix books.

Obviously Harry Potter if she hasnt already and Lord of the Rings though it is hard going it took me a couple of attempts to read it 😂.

She sounds alot like me at that age and i loved all those books i think she will too. Sorry getting over excited just remembering my teenage and early twenty reading years! 😂Actually most of those books id read again over and over!

Thegoldgrind Fri 24-May-19 16:32:10

Anything by L J Smith (author of Night World, Vampire Diaries etc) LOVED those back in the day grin

ImportantWater Fri 24-May-19 21:05:08

I was trying to remember who my first literary crush was and I think it was Sebastian from the Veronica at the Wells books. Not quite a sparkly vampire.

Wasn't 50 Shades of Grey based on Twilight?

stirling Fri 24-May-19 23:22:29

Just tuned in to find more recommendations. So glad I posted this thread, there's enough here to keep her going for at least half a year.
Thank you all

CraftyYankee Fri 24-May-19 23:26:24

Also Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. Must disagree on the Selection series, dreadfully written pap.

BlackPrism Sat 25-May-19 00:15:39

Go on the goodreads YA fantasy page and find them.

I can recommend some faaaR better books. Brent weeks, Brandon Sanderson, any of their series are life changing lily good fantasy.

If not, there are a lot of vampire/ witch YA books.

BlackPrism Sat 25-May-19 00:16:25

Oooh @ElephantsEatEggs I loved Trudy Canavan!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »