Talk

Advanced search

Is reading something always better than reading nothing? (Lighthearted)

(7 Posts)
Muddlingalongalone Mon 13-May-19 00:39:02

As the title says. Is reading
Dd1 got dork diaries from the library this weekend & insisted on reading it to me instead of her school reading book (an abridged and modern language version of Jane Eyre)
Omg what mindless trash it is - very good for her dramatic performance of it but otherwise awful! Disclaimer - I'm sure I'd have liked it at 8 as well although was older for sweet valley/Nancy drew & the babysitters club.

So is it always better to be reading no matter what?
What "delights" of the literary world have your children inflicted on you??

PerspicaciaTick Mon 13-May-19 00:48:40

If you are talking about the ORT abridged version of Jane Eyre it is an abomination and Dork Diaries are at least honest about what they are.
Whoever thought that a passionless, neutered version of Jane Eyre was suitable for primary aged children (who then "think" they've know Jane Eyre is tedious and to be avoided in the original), should have been shot.

Birdie6 Mon 13-May-19 00:57:36

Definitely ! My DD spent endless hours reading comic books as a child / teen. I thought they were rubbish but she loved them. It didn't do her any harm at all. She now teaches gifted and talented children at a prestigious girls' school, and she recommends comic books to them as well, for recreational reading .

cwg1 Mon 13-May-19 01:00:23

The Jane Eyre sounds awful! If the school want to read classics, how about The Secret Garden or The Railway Children?

FreeFreesia Mon 13-May-19 01:09:35

Yes read anything anywhere. DS loved the Dinosaur Cove series which has some ridiculous number of books. They aren't the work of one author more a brand. He insisted on reading them all in order...thank goodness for libraries! But for content & style I really disliked Horrid Henry.

Muddlingalongalone Mon 13-May-19 07:12:15

@PerspicaciaTick thanks for the heads up. I possibly should have guessed after Little Women (wtaf)
Maybe I'll just grit my teeth and be thankful she's reading after all.

BlueChampagne Mon 13-May-19 12:49:50

I think it's a question of balancing literary candy floss with something more ... nutritious. Doesn't have to be her school book though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »