Talk

Advanced search

Crowdfunding Children's Book About OCD and Social Worker Involvement

(1 Post)
MHawker Tue 12-Mar-19 21:46:12

Hi guys,

My name is Max Hawker and I am a 31-year-old father of two, living in Croydon; an OCD sufferer; writer; and I work in children's social care, supporting children leaving the care system to become independent.

I'm here because I've written a children's book, Rory Hobble and the Voyage to Haligogen, about an 11-year-old, suffering from OCD, who goes into space with his social worker to try and rescue his abducted mother - yes, it's quite an adventure! When I was diagnosed with OCD as a child, I found that there was no one in literature I could relate to and I'm hoping to give children a different kind of hero with my book. The condition itself is extraordinarily misunderstood and, for children in particular, can be a very frightening and confusing experience.

Now, I'm in the process of crowdfunding this book through publisher Unbound. I'm confident that there is a significant audience out there for this kind of story.

What I'd be interested to hear from you all is whether you know of any groups - this could be literature groups, mental health support groups or parent groups - that might be interested in hearing me talk about my work, my own experience and perhaps even support my project.

I do look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »