Talk

Advanced search

suggested books for year 4 children

(18 Posts)
dolphin50 Tue 12-Mar-19 17:24:43

I am going for an interview in a primary school and have to bring in my favourite childrens book and explain it to 6 children from year 4. When I was around the age of 8 and 9 I was really into jacqueline wilson, Michael Morpurgo, Roald Dahl and the famous five. I love Harry potter, Percy Jackson and peter pan too. I know David walliams is very popular and there are lots of others I haven't heard of.
I was wondering what books children from year 4 like and as it has to be a book I know what book I know of from up above would be known or liked by children in this age bracket now for me to bring in to read a chapter and talk about a favourite book

sleepismysuperpower1 Tue 12-Mar-19 17:27:54

The How to Train Your Dragon series is popular x

dolphin50 Tue 12-Mar-19 18:24:32

@sleepismysuperpower1 How to train your dragon looks really good but I couldn't share my knowledge on it as I haven't read it. Growing up it always seemed Jacqueline Wilson for the girls and Michael Morpurgo was more about boys but I loved both. I am really looking for something that works for all kids and they would be interested about. I will keep the How to train your dragon books in mind and think about others. Is Harry potter read by year 4 usually

blackteaplease Tue 12-Mar-19 18:26:58

My dad is year 4 and most of her class are reading the Harry Potter series, roald Dahl and David walliams.

Ricekrispie22 Wed 13-Mar-19 05:51:23

Fantastic Mr Fox
The Twits
George’s Marvellous Medicine
James and the Giant Peach
The Minpins
The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips
Kaspar
The Fox and the Ghost King

Others that you might be familiar with:
Charlotte’s Web
The Firework Maker’s Daughter
The Peppermint Pig
The Hodgeheg

EjectorCrab Wed 13-Mar-19 06:09:52

Roald Dahl, David Walliams, Tom Fletcher, Cressida Cowell, Dav Pilkey are all popular with my year 4 DS.
You can’t go wrong with George’s Marvellous Medicine if you want a classic.

EjectorCrab Wed 13-Mar-19 06:12:28

Regarding your question is Harry Potter read by year 4s, my DS has read philosophers stone, and started but not finished chamber of secrets. He doesn’t seem to like the Harry Potter series very much.

BlueChampagne Wed 13-Mar-19 12:39:07

Goth Girl
Ottoline
Roman Mysteries

Definitely How to Train your Dragon

dolphin50 Thu 14-Mar-19 11:15:03

what about percy jackson?

DialANumber Tue 26-Mar-19 21:29:11

My DD is year 4 and has only read the first one and there are quite a few who haven't even started them yet. David Walliams and Roald Dahl are very popular. Some Jacqueline Wilson books are quite grown up and so possibly more reliably year 5/6.

My DD has read a lot of Robin Stevens, Eva Ibbotson, Michael Morpurgo, and loved them all.

ArmchairTraveller Tue 26-Mar-19 21:48:49

Think about this, you are going for very popular books that the children may well know inside out. Better to choose a book with a lot of possibilities to unpack. There are a lot of amazing picture books designed for KS2, that’s what I’d go with.

ArmchairTraveller Tue 26-Mar-19 21:53:43

Failing that, I’d go with Roald Dahl. BFG or George.

Howtotrainyourhamster Tue 26-Mar-19 21:57:46

My dd really enjoyed The White Giraffe by Lauren St John in year 4 - she asked for it after teacher read some of it to them (and she is not generally a great reader!). If you’re looking for something a bit different.
Otherwise I really like the How to Train your Dragon series too!

Ratatouille76 Tue 26-Mar-19 21:59:17

My 7 year old likes famous 5 and secret 7 books.

ImportantWater Tue 26-Mar-19 22:01:38

I do reading with Year4 every week. They are, without fail, reading David Walliams, Tom Gates, Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Harry Potter. Every single one of them. Actually, one was reading Mortal Engines last week which made a nice change.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Tue 26-Mar-19 22:10:52

Harry Potter is LOVED by my DC and their year 4 pals. Both make & female. I'd go with that.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Tue 26-Mar-19 22:11:10

Male.

Howtotrainyourhamster Tue 26-Mar-19 22:13:10

Actually will confirm that my year 3 and 5 kids read, almost exclusively, Diary of a Wimpy kid and Tom Gates! (though I do try to broaden their horizons...)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »