Talk

Advanced search

'Norm' books - Is flipping a bad word

(18 Posts)
paul2louise Tue 12-Mar-19 00:05:00

I am trying to find funny books for my 8 year old son. I got a book ' Norm' from the library and it has the word flipping used in it quite a lot. I work at lunchtime at school and I regularly hear children using fake swear words as the real ones would get them in trouble. I am not a Saint. I let the odd word drop occasionally but do not actively curse with real or fake words in front of my son.
I don't know if I should let him read this book, do you think I am over reacting

HennyPennyHorror Tue 12-Mar-19 00:42:30

hmm
Are you serious?

TowelNumber42 Tue 12-Mar-19 00:58:10

It is not a rude word. Small children can say flipping.

TowelNumber42 Tue 12-Mar-19 01:00:36

I'll just leave this here because I love it.

youtu.be/Qjd8HobrTzA

YogaWannabe Tue 12-Mar-19 01:08:33

Ah come on, he’s 8

YogaWannabe Tue 12-Mar-19 01:09:51

@TowelNumber42 ❤️ Moss!

Shinyletsbebadguys Tue 12-Mar-19 01:18:56

You are being ridiculous that's not a swear word

paul2louise Tue 12-Mar-19 10:24:56

I didn't say flipping was a swear word. It's a word that you use to curse. Flipping heck........
Some children younger than 8 swear. My son doesn't use any cursing phases that I am aware of. I don't want him to start. I didnt say the books aren't good and I would probably enjoy them. I just don't think you have to add flipping or any other word to sentence to make it funny. It is age 9+. So I will take it back to the library.

TowelNumber42 Tue 12-Mar-19 11:12:45

I disagree. I think the fake swearing makes it funnier. Children love the illicit thrill of it.

Do you think that reading Norm will turn your non-sweary child into a potty mouth?

BiscuitDrama Tue 12-Mar-19 11:53:58

So you don’t allow ‘oh my goodness’ or anything like that? I’m a bit confused as to where your line is.

BlueChampagne Wed 13-Mar-19 12:44:25

Winnie the Witch's 'swearing' is far more fun than "flipping".

kelper Wed 13-Mar-19 12:55:17

I got grounded when I was 10 for saying "flipping".
My mother has very odd ideas though.

paul2louise Wed 13-Mar-19 13:52:48

I think it's not the occasional flipping that bothered me. 10 times in first chapter seemed excessive. I never said I don't swear or curse. But when you have you flipping or another word in every other sentence it seems too much. I probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

PuppyMonkey Wed 13-Mar-19 13:57:00

FFS.

(for flip’s sake).grin

Ohyesiam Wed 13-Mar-19 13:57:25

I never thought of flipping as a fake swear word. I just thought of it as a way to express frustration and annoyance, which has got to be a normal and healthy thing to do. Or otherwise we’d end up policing our kids emotions and having a range of emotions that it’s not ok to feel, which is very damaging for a child.

babysharkah Wed 13-Mar-19 13:57:41

Ffs.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Wed 13-Mar-19 13:58:58

My ( year old DD has starting reading these. She knows what the F word is but never uses any 'fake' words like flipping. She does now occasionally use flipping having read this but mainly to annoy me!

I just find it really annoying so I don't read them out loud to her - she can read them herself or DH can!

TheMightyToosh Wed 13-Mar-19 14:06:23

Cursing and swearing aren't necessarily the same thing. 'Oh bother' can be classed as cursing even though no swear words are used.

Some people feel cursing is bad, some don't. These days, I think it's pretty common, and if not using a swear word, I think it's a bit of a non-issue in this case.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: