Talk

Advanced search

Help me identify this series of children's books

(9 Posts)
namechange5575 Sat 09-Mar-19 20:28:48

I've been trying to recall these children's picture books for a while. I had them from school as I was first learning to read, so likely aged 5/6/7 around the mid 1980s (I'm 40 now). They were the first books I read by myself for sheer enjoyment, we were only supposed to read a few pages per evening but I read a whole book and wanted more. There was a series of a few of them.

So, quite witchy, something about rooftops, possibly a cat, possibly a boy called Tobias? Vaguely magical. Probably a picture and a few lines of writing each page. Or maybe a few pages with 10-20 lines. Illustrations were blue and black tones. Sorry to not have more detail. I think I'm conflating some of those details with later books, just to confuse things. Help much appreciated.

Veterinari Sat 09-Mar-19 20:32:32

Tim and Tobias ?
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0954735005/ref=cm_cr_srp_mb_bdcrb_top?tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

Wellcolourmehappy Sat 09-Mar-19 20:32:37

Tim and the Hidden People. The cat is called Tobias! It was a 70's reading collection with about 30 books.

jenthelibrarian Sat 09-Mar-19 20:35:47

School librarian here, sorry can't help, but there is a brilliant forum called 'Book Sleuth' on AbeBooks where they'll almost certainly be able to help you.

forums.abebooks.com/discussions/AbeBookscom_BookSleuthreg/abesleuthcom?dbg=6&redirCnt=1

Bloodybridget Sun 10-Mar-19 22:02:55

Come back @namechange5575 !

namechange5575 Sun 10-Mar-19 22:10:33

Oh you stars, that's definitely it. Thank you @Veterinari @Wellcolourmehappy It looks like they were well thought of, good to news I had excellent taste as a child. Also very pleased that re reading them could be another pleasure rather than a terrible let down.

It was such a joy to discover that reading could be so absorbing and fascinating and you could do it by yourself. So how come you both recognised them? Did you learn to read with them too?

PrettyAmazingGrace Sun 10-Mar-19 22:12:05

Oh they were amazing books. I loved them.

namechange5575 Sun 10-Mar-19 22:18:16

Hmm, going for around £25 per book on eBay.

ladybirdsarelovely33 Sun 10-Mar-19 23:01:36

Check this out:

tim-and-the-hidden-people.tumblr.com/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »