Talk

Advanced search

Reading fairytales to your daughters

(5 Posts)
Alexane3835 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:38:47

Hey guys! I am a third year student at the Oxford Brookes University writing my dissertation. I was wondering whether you could take two minutes out of your day to help me and answer my survey on reading fairytales to young girls in the ages between 0-8. Ideally would need participants that have daughters or know children of that demographic. The responses will be treated and reported anonymously. Thank you very much for your help!
Here is the survey:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSclnc4SnJwDuV7rl5eoOVy_EXzIb4O4F1syCrqaH0w6loZdRQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

StealthPolarBear Fri 22-Feb-19 14:42:55

Is there a reason it's about daughters only?

RubaiyatOfAnyone Fri 22-Feb-19 15:00:40

I completed this on your last deleted thread - i think you have added “books i read as a child” as a category since then which was definitely needed, i imagine it’s most people’s main impetus for reading fairy stories.

I still don’t understand what you mean by the last question on changing traditional fairy stories? You can write a new modern version of your own with current en vogue politics, and hope people buy it - you can’t change a story that was written 500 years before you were born and exists in hundreds of different versions. It exists whether or not it is approved of.

I’m also not sure why you refer to “traditional fairy stories” but include a list that is obviously Disney oriented instead - Mulan for inatance was not a traditionally read tale in this country prior to the cartoon coming out, and Peter Pan is a Victorian novel not a fairy story. Why not just say it is a survey about Disney’s influence on young girls instead? I don’t think my daughter has been influenced overly by Red Riding Hood or Goldilocks or the Little Goose Girl, but i’d be fascinated to hear why you think she might have been?

dolphin50 Tue 26-Feb-19 21:25:13

Literature that is centuries old is there to be interpreted. My daughter Rose is a tomboy who likes the adventure in fairytales while my daughter Molly wants to be a princess, is very girly and dreams to live in a palace and be a princess. That doesn't mean that she thinks there is anything wrong with a girl being brave and strong but the word career driven wouldn't enter her mind as she is a child with childhood fantasies that i want her to have whatever they are. If the little mermaid was about a merman who like Romeo fell in love with a princess on a ship and left his family to enter human life like he dreamed of before, no one would blink at that. The other way round people think its wrong. Young girls don't know about the history behind female empowerment and if my son or daughter want to climb a beanstalk, have a candy cottage in the woods or be a princess in a palace. ride a horse, go to a ball etc. as a parent I'm not going to take that away from my kids. I don't believe in toys, books, films or games being just for boys or girls. There is a problem with boys still finding it hard to open up and girls being assertive and we need to work on that as much as possible but if a princess is saved from being locked in a tower and marries a prince it doesn't mean that is all she can do. Anna in Frozen/the snow queen was determined to find her sister in the snow, Belle in beauty and the beast loved reading even though girls then didn't really do it, Ariel from the little mermaid sacrifices her voice to see life above etc. In Disneys Moana she is very strong but i think there needs to be more male characters who are sensitive to be shown. If we go against the girly princess image than we should be going against the hulk, spiderman etc. for being too strong. Children should be whatever they want to be and there should be characters that represent them. Strong girls and boys and gentle boys and girls. I was a tomboy and loved strong female characters like Tracy Beaker and Hermionie.

BoudicasBoudoir Thu 28-Feb-19 02:14:54

Agree with previous posters: is this about classic fairytales or Disney ones? Seems to be the latter, to me.
Also, what do you mean by the ‘morale’ of a book? If you mean the moral message, say that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: