Talk

Advanced search

4 year old loves fairy tales

(13 Posts)
Goldencarrot Wed 20-Feb-19 21:20:55

We read to our 4 year old regularly but for the last few weeks have been reading from a fairy tale anthology (about 10 stories, goldilocks, red riding hood etc) and my dd is more engaged than I've ever seen her before. I think she's enjoying the good/bad characters and fantasy/magical element. It has made me realise she doesn't engage with true to life style stories at all for example Shirley Hughes.

She's still definitely into picture books, I think she'd love another fairy tale anthology. Any recommendations? Or something in the good vs evil similar vein.

GreenTulips Wed 20-Feb-19 21:22:52

Faraway tree
Wishing chair

Kids always love fantasy fuels the imagination

PomBearWithAnOFRS Thu 21-Feb-19 21:49:26

The Golden Acorn
I can't remember who it's by, we got it on Kindle, I think it was free or just a few pence.
The "Connie Companion" quartet maybe, but she might be a bit too young just yet.
I second the Wishing Chair and Faraway Tree books, and there are loads of other Enid Blyton stories with fairies, pixies etc in her various story collections too.

Goldencarrot Thu 21-Feb-19 22:30:19

Thank you! I'll check those out.
Any suggestions for picture books? She's only just turned 4 so still really likes looking at the pictures!

GreenTulips Thu 21-Feb-19 22:45:02

Some dogs don’t and some dogs do is excellent and tjeres a few others similar

Look at Dr Suss as well

TheBitterBoy Thu 21-Feb-19 23:01:48

The Tashi stories bu Anna and Barbara Fienberg are nice for a child this age. We have a compliation book which has about 10 stories in, and each story is just the right length for bedtime.

Leeds2 Thu 21-Feb-19 23:13:28

The Fairytale Hairdresser books are very popular with Reception, in the school where I volunteer.

fullofcoldahhhh Thu 21-Feb-19 23:20:27

As a child I loved The Faraway Tree and The Enchanted Wood... quite twee but lots of characters and fantasy

crazygolfgonewrong Thu 21-Feb-19 23:36:20

The worst princess. Best book ever.

SusieFlo Mon 25-Feb-19 10:11:56

I was the same as your daughter - I loved fairy tales and preferred
stories with magic over anything mundane and realistic.

Enid Blyton was a big hit, as recommended by others. I also loved the young children's versions of the Greek and Roman myths. Usborne has some nice kids' collections of these as well as illustrated anthologies of the Grimm and Andersen fairy tales which include some of the less common ones.

MumUnderTheMoon Mon 25-Feb-19 10:25:53

I liked A Necklace of Raindrops as a kid and Milly Molly Mandy.

Goldencarrot Mon 25-Feb-19 21:01:45

Thanks everyone for your ideas, I've added a few to the list.

dolphin50 Wed 27-Feb-19 02:31:51

the land of stories. two kids go into a fairytale world and spend time in neverland, wonderland and many more

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: