Talk

Advanced search

David Walliams recommendations please

(13 Posts)
CautiousOptimist Sat 16-Feb-19 19:58:04

My oldest DS is just 6 and enjoying chapter books like Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl etc. I read them to him at the moment but he’s a good reader and I expect he’ll be reading them to himself soon.

Please can I have any recommendations for David Walliams books to start us off? I hear they’re good but we don’t know any of them and are just wondering where to start. Am I right in thinking they’re easyish chapter books?

Thanks in advance.

AgnesNaismith Sat 16-Feb-19 20:03:00

The world’s worst children would be good as it is short stories. I think there are three now - all brilliant.

Ricekrispie22 Sun 17-Feb-19 06:47:34

I wouldn’t be giving a 6yo the David Walliams books, even if he is a good reader. Some of the subject matter is quite mature. Definitely upper KS2 stuff! I’d start with
Just a William books
Mr Gum
Toto The Ninja Cat
Stinkbomb and Ketchup Face
Astrosaurs
Flat Stanley
Michael Morpurgo’s Mudpuddle Farm series
No 1 Boy Detective series

Hollowvictory Sun 17-Feb-19 06:51:29

The 'daisy and the trouble with...' series by kes gray (or may be grey) is excellent for this age and are easy, and very funny, chapter books.
Walliams are more for older ones really but the bad dad, world's worst children and the ice monster may be starting points.

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Feb-19 06:58:52

My dc cooed with David Walliams at 6!! No worse subject matter than Roald Dahl re: dead parents, cruel aunts, mean teachers.

We love Gangsta Granny, that’s not too grim. The World’s Worst Children 1,2 and 3.
The Boy in the Dress. The earlier ones are probably less macabre than the more recent ones.

Hollowvictory Sun 17-Feb-19 06:59:32

But the op wants ones he can read himself.

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Feb-19 07:06:42

DD read the World’s Worst Children when are was just 7. P

MrsBertBibby Sun 17-Feb-19 07:10:02

Jeremy Strong was popular with my son for self-reading at that age.

CautiousOptimist Sun 17-Feb-19 07:36:58

Thank you for the very helpful replies. This is a new reading stage for us as he’s been on picture books until now so it’s great to have lots of ideas to look into.

Helix1244 Sun 24-Feb-19 21:48:33

I dont think DW is too much for a 6yo but think it is a lot straight from picture books to read himself. They are quite long

But then dd does rather lack empathy.

Helix1244 Sun 24-Feb-19 21:48:34

I dont think DW is too much for a 6yo but think it is a lot straight from picture books to read himself. They are quite long

But then dd does rather lack empathy.

Cuppaand2biscuits Sun 24-Feb-19 21:55:41

My dd loves David Walliams, has been reading them since 7. The Boy in the dress was the first one she read, and Gangsta granny.
Look for Pamela Butchart books, she has them all and has re-read several times. Lead character is a boy so not girlie book.
Also Wigglesbottom primary school books are fab for introduction to self reading.
And Mark Lowery books she enjoys too.
And Horrid Henry books are very manageable, contain a few short stories in each book and can be bought from Poundland.

Cuppaand2biscuits Sun 24-Feb-19 21:58:06

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_4?sprefix=wigg&crid=2UVM698V79N5U&k=wigglesbottom+primary+books&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Just 're read your op. Definitely try these if he's not yet read any chapter books.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »