Talk

Advanced search

Teaching a 4-year old about her body

(10 Posts)
nertsqueen89 Fri 15-Feb-19 19:56:53

Hello,

Can anyone recommend some good picture books that are appropriate for teaching a 3, almost 4-year old about her body (specifically about consent and private parts). I've started having chats with her about her special private areas but would love some books to back me up.

It's also occurred to me recently that because she only has a baby sister and lots of friends who are mostly girls, she probably has little to no idea about what a little boy looks like down there! Again, happy to teach her and I'd rather she heard it from me and her dad, but would appreciate a good book or two to help out!

Thanks in advance!

Owlettele Fri 15-Feb-19 19:59:33

No tips I'm afraid but following as could do with the same.

molamoob Fri 15-Feb-19 20:04:04

Sorry no book suggestions but The Pants Song is a good one for talk of private parts.

https://youtu.be/-lL07JOGU5o

molamoob Fri 15-Feb-19 20:04:39

...and it's very catchy.

MaryPopppins Fri 15-Feb-19 20:08:00

A girl DDs class saw her first penis at school when a boy was changing for PE and the mum was very upset and angry and the girl was bothered by the whole situation. So I think you're defiantly right to let her know what's what before school starts.

Does her dad live with you? My DD (no brothers) sees DHs penis most days so isn't fussed and we've not had to explain.

She also has boy friends of the same age so sees them naked in summer paddling pools etc.

InDubiousBattle Fri 15-Feb-19 20:08:50

Go to the library together and have a look? Ours is only a tiny one but they had a few to choose from that were age appropriate.

nertsqueen89 Fri 15-Feb-19 21:45:15

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Yes, I think a trip to the library may be the best thing - can't think why that hadn't occurred to me before!

@molamoob I'm sure she'll love that video! Very helpful (as long as I don't wake up in the middle of the night singing it!)

@MaryPopppins She sees me naked all the time, but her dad's a little more cautious about being naked around her, I think once she reached a certain age he just started covering up automatically. I'll have a chat with him about it and see what he thinks.

MotorcycleMayhem Fri 15-Feb-19 21:51:24

What about this as part of whatever you talk about?

www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/keeping-children-safe/underwear-rule/

babysharkah Fri 15-Feb-19 21:54:56

There's some really good age appropriate usborne ones but I can't remember what they were called, sorry!

Taytotots Wed 20-Feb-19 00:57:01

molamoob I now have 'pants pants pantosaurus' stuck in my head again. Thanks for that! grin. I've used that video with my kids and found it helpful. For books we have 'it's not the stork' - you might need to adapt it for younger kids as has a lot of info (e.g on IVF).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »