Talk

Advanced search

Heavily illustrated first chapter books?

(11 Posts)
LumiereLennie Wed 06-Feb-19 17:12:17

DS is six and has loved reading the Jonny Duddle ‘Jolley-Rogers’ series of books because the chapters are short and engaging and most pages have significant illustration. There are lots of lists of books suited to the age group, but I can’t work out which have this balance of pictures. Anyone know of ones that are similarly illustrated? Thanks!

Leeds2 Wed 06-Feb-19 21:18:47

Orion publish a series of books called Early Readers, which might be what you are looking for. The ones I know are Horrid Henry (I think one chapter of a Horrid Henry book, but with bigger print and pictures), and Rainbow Fairies, but I think they do loads of different options.

I love the Jolley-Rogers too!

drspouse Wed 06-Feb-19 21:20:41

Claude books are not QUITE chapter books but with a bit more text.
Some of the Michael Morpurgo books are good too.

BlueChampagne Thu 07-Feb-19 13:25:26

Again, short stories rather than chapter books, but our Katie Morag collections are heavily illustrated.

LumiereLennie Thu 07-Feb-19 17:00:20

Ooo, lovely. I’ll have a look!

nillygin Thu 07-Feb-19 17:14:08

My daughter really likes the bananas series, they do green bananas (easiest) then blue bananas, red bananas, and yellow (hardest). She especially likes these as the illustrations are colour. They are great first chapter books and come in a wide range of story topics :0)

FeedMeBooks Thu 07-Feb-19 19:48:54

Katie Morag are often used in schools.
Narwhal and Jelly is a fun series.

Harebellsies Mon 18-Feb-19 19:49:30

Usborne readers level 4 and up. Lush illustrations and unusual story classics.

Harebellsies Mon 18-Feb-19 19:53:33

Will also be looking into Narwhal and Jelly. Looks fun!

LumiereLennie Tue 19-Feb-19 07:14:17

We love Narwhal & Jelly - they’re rather like a graphic novel, so more illustration and less text. Also found ‘Rabbit and Bear’ books that fit the bill. Off to hunt banana books now!

starlingsintheslipstream Tue 19-Feb-19 07:19:35

How about the Allan Ahlberg books about the Gaskitt family? This is the first one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Who-Wore-Clothes-Gaskitts/dp/1406381640/ref=sr11_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1550560685&sr=8-28&keywords=allan+ahlberg

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »