Talk

Advanced search

Michael Morpurgo recommendations

(11 Posts)
GentlySnoring Tue 01-Jan-19 20:10:09

I’m looking for something for my son to read once he’s finished his current book and thought I’d try him on some Michael Morpurgo. However, I’ve never read any myself so don’t know where to start.

My son is 11 and has loved the Percy Jackson series, Alex Rider, Maz Evans, Willard Price.

Any recommendations for his age? I’ve seen Kensuke’s Kingdom on Amazon which I thought he might like. Suggestions gratefully received!

BikeRunSki Tue 01-Jan-19 20:13:18

I live all MM, but “Why the Whales Came” is my favourite. DS(10) likes Adolphous Tips.

The Book People currently have a MM collection for £15.

earlybirdhasanap Tue 01-Jan-19 20:14:56

The butterfly lion was one of my favourite books as a child.

VelvetGreen Tue 01-Jan-19 20:35:36

Mine loves The Wreck of the Zanzibar, and also MM's retelling of the King Arthur stories and Beowulf.

GentlySnoring Tue 01-Jan-19 21:12:21

Thanks so much - I’ll look into these.

The £15 offer sounds great but unfortunately my son only reads on a kindle as he doesn’t like the feel of paper pages (little quirk of his!).

Tinkhasflown Tue 01-Jan-19 21:14:39

My Dd absolutely adores The Butterfly Lion and has read it 4 times. She has the book set from the book people and has enjoyed the couple that she has read.

PerverseConverse Tue 01-Jan-19 21:16:54

My 11 year old dd loves any she reads! I've just got her Poppy Field. She loves the cat ones in particular. I've read farm boy which was good.

mamaduckbone Tue 01-Jan-19 21:18:15

My ds really enjoyed some of the war stories - Shadow is about a boy in Afghanistan, War Horse is excellent and Born to Run was also a favourite.
Kensukes Kingdom is my favourite.

SprusselBrout Tue 01-Jan-19 21:24:23

Kensuke’s Kingdom, Butterfly Lion, and Private Peaceful are my favourites.

GentlySnoring Tue 01-Jan-19 22:01:29

Thank you, this is just what I was hoping for. I think he’ll love the cat ones, in fact, all of the suggestions! Though I don’t think I can cope with War Horse - he likes me to read to him sometimes and I can’t do sad animal stories!

MissMarplesKnitting Tue 01-Jan-19 22:03:29

Waiting for Anya. Bit more obscure MM, film out this year too so will be good to read then watch?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: