Talk

Advanced search

Picture books for older boys?

(10 Posts)
BoogleMcGroogle Thu 27-Dec-18 17:43:16

With a few exceptions ( The Faraway Tree, The Twits), my 7 years old is still struggling to enjoy chapter books, even when read to him ( he enjoys audio books in the car, so knows all the David Williams, Ronald Dahl books etc). He's a a super little reader, and will devour The Beano, but won't read a longer book for pleasure. Any ideas for more sophisticated ( funny, scary, thoughtful, anything really) picture books we can share together at bedtime?

TwiceMagic Thu 27-Dec-18 17:44:27

How to train your dragon (and sequels).

RB68 Thu 27-Dec-18 17:46:29

Tin Tin or other comic type books

Sadik Thu 27-Dec-18 17:56:36

The Church Mice books are absolutely fabulous, pitched at 7 yrs plus in terms of humour (and funny for adults too), but definitely picture books.

The other obvious one is Asterix - again if he likes the Beano I would have thought the level would be good.

A bit longer, but still lots of pictures, and perfect humour for a 7 y/o is Captain Underpants.

Loopy9 Thu 27-Dec-18 17:56:58

I would recommend these comic strip books:
Captain underpants
Star Wars clone war comic books
Diary of a wimpy kid

TwiceMagic Thu 27-Dec-18 19:47:59

The Tom Gates books are also good. Lots and lots of little pictures everywhere.

That said, if he’ll devour the beano, that’s great. You could branch out to other comics. I always recommend The Phoenix. It has single strips and also longer serialised ones so he can follow a story in chapters. You can buy volumes of some of the comics within it. DS2 adores Bunny v Monkey. Really adores it.

He might also enjoy some of the manga for younger kids (like the Pokémon manga, or the legend of Zelda manga), which has chapters. But just be careful to check suitability - lots of the series that are easily available are intended for teenagers and often feature things you might not be entirely happy about. There’s a lovely one called Yotsuba&.

BoogleMcGroogle Fri 28-Dec-18 21:32:00

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll definitely look those up and order a few at the library/Amazon. DD is a great reader of Manga for slightly older children, so hopefully the comic book ideas would be a nice first step for her brother too. We've just started Humphrey the Hamster this evening and he didn't seem too 'meh' about it, so I'm feeling hopeful!

We started listening to The Ice Monster in the car today which he's enjoying smile

1hello2hello Thu 03-Jan-19 04:03:46

Geronimo Stilton

FixItUpChappie Thu 03-Jan-19 05:01:52

I picked up a lovely hard cover version of Wind in the Willows which is full of wonderful pictures.

BeBesideTheSea Thu 03-Jan-19 05:06:53

‘The 13 story tree house‘ series would be perfect for your DS. And I second ‘Diary of a wimpy kid’ and also the ‘Stick dog’ series.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: