Talk

Advanced search

Books about olympians/inspirational people?

(6 Posts)
welliving Wed 05-Dec-18 21:02:48

9 yr old sister just asked me who I looked up to when I was younger. I started talking about it, and remembered reading these biographies written for children in my school library. I asked her if she'd read any books about inspirational people/who she looked up to and if she'd like to read about anybody in particular.

She does gymnastics and karate, as well as piano and said she'd be interested in reading about olympians/women in karate etc. basically inspirational people who do her extracurriculars.

She reads well for her age I would say, but I'd really like her to enjoy them, I don't want them to feel like homework. Can anybody recommend any books focusing on these topics? maybe biographies for children, or less involved, I don't know enough about these areas to have any ideas!

Thank you in advance.

BackforGood Thu 06-Dec-18 00:24:32

Have a look at A Mighty Girl website.

If you are on FaceBook you can like their page and you get a recommendation each week about inspriationsal women from all walks of life (Science, social justice, Medicine, Maths, Space Travel, War Time Heroines, Pioneers, Politicians, Sports, Civil Rights Activists, all sorts) and they usually give you pointers of books to read for teens, for older juniors, younger dc and sometimes even to share with little ones.
Really good resource.

ElizabethMainwaring Thu 06-Dec-18 00:29:20

'Goodnight Stories for Rebellious Girls' is a lovely book about inspirational women. Some well known, others I've never heard of from all walks. It's a beautiful book with great illustrations and makes a lovely gift too.

LittleLlamaontheduskyroad Sun 09-Dec-18 22:11:53

My DD aged 7 has a book called "Women in Science" which is a collection of short biographies of famous (and some I've never heard of) women scientists. She really enjoys getting it out and dipping in & out of it with me.

This one books.google.co.uk/books/about/Women_in_Science.html?id=gg90DQAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

1hello2hello Thu 13-Dec-18 08:18:23

Women in sport 50 fearless athletes

CountFosco Sat 19-Jan-19 17:43:58

Women in Sport - another vote for this one!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: