Talk

Advanced search

Jacqueline Wilson - this irrationally annoys me

(8 Posts)
continuallychargingmyphone Sun 18-Nov-18 21:15:15

Yes, I know I’m supposedly an adult, but it’s for work, I tell you grin

Anyway, I like her books; I like the way they entice reluctant readers and the way they deal with social issues in a non threatening way.

But she really started promoting herself within her own writing, with the characters reading and loving her other book. I have no idea why but it makes me cringe!

Disclaimer - lighthearted.

StealthPolarBear Sun 18-Nov-18 21:19:06

Never read them but yes that's cringey!
I tend to read thrillera and every so often they will promote other writers books, I assume it's a bit quid pro quo, so the lead detective on the case takes a bit of time out to read the new James letters on book. That annoys me too.

StealthPolarBear Sun 18-Nov-18 21:19:20

James Patterson

Rapunzel88 Sun 18-Nov-18 21:25:29

Enid Blyton did it. I distinctly remember a member of the Secret Seven discussing how much they enjoyed reading Famous Five books!

continuallychargingmyphone Sun 18-Nov-18 21:26:45

Oh urgh yes, that’s nearly as bad!

continuallychargingmyphone Sun 18-Nov-18 21:27:25

Gosh - why!? These are the most successful children’s authors: they don’t need fictitious characters promoting them!

jellybean85 Sun 18-Nov-18 21:28:43

To be fair I never took it as self promotion more like a funny little quirk that kids would enjoy. Never seen it in adult books and like you say Enid Blyton and Jacqueline Wilson are/we're doing pretty well. It was hardly desperate desire to sell more books

Witchend Mon 19-Nov-18 17:20:01

It depends on how they do it surely?

As a child I quite liked it in the Enid Blyton's as you thought "oh yes, I've read that too." It made them feel more real, and I can only remember occasional references. I think the Secret Seven have a point when they're bringing books and one of them says "I'll bring my famous Fives they're wizard," or something similar. I don't recall any other references.

If they start being promotion or too frequently then I would start to become irritated. I can remember having an (American) self help type book that was full of "other authors say that in this situation you can do X Y Z. I don't agree with that. Don't do it. The only proper way to sort it is listed in my book <insert title> IBSM 17214637854 which can be ordered through my website along with lots of other merchandise www.youlotaresuckersifyoufallforthis.com..."

I've certainly seen authors reference other books in children's books (eg In PunchBowl Midnight, Andrea thumps down a copy of "We didn't mean to go to sea" and proclaimed everyone in it was more sensible than Peter") and I think it's nice little touch to use a book the children have heard of. It probably does make them more likely to try and read them, but I don't think it's put in for that reason.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: