Talk

Advanced search

Your thoughts on children's fiction and non-fiction

(4 Posts)
SophieLinneker Sun 18-Nov-18 14:58:02

Hello everyone,
I'm currently a 3rd year illustration student at university and I am focusing on the balance between children's fiction and non-fiction picture books for my dissertation essay. I was wondering what your thoughts were about the benefits of both genres; whether you think fiction books can help your child's communication skills and imagination, or whether non-fiction books teaching your child new and interesting facts about the world is engaging enough for them.
Also, what is your child's favourite picture book and why?
Any information on the topic would help me a lot! Thank you.

BackforGood Sun 18-Nov-18 21:06:43

whether you think fiction books can help your child's communication skills and imagination

Yes. Also their reading, as they understand patterns of words - be it rhyme or 'traditional' openings and endings etc. It is about understanding the use of language, but fiction can also explore thoughts and ideas at arms length (emotions, experiences etc) and prepare children for new circumstances and also help them deal with emotions as well as 'just' being fun or funny or exciting or interesting.

or whether non-fiction books teaching your child new and interesting facts about the world is engaging enough for them

Some children prefer non fiction books. Most children, enjoy both sorts of books. Most go through phases where they love a bit of an 'odd facts' book or 'Book of World REcords' or 'Childrens Encyclopaedia' or similar. I used to and still do love spending time looking through an atlas.

My dc are grown up now, so can't help with the favourite book

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Sun 18-Nov-18 21:10:57

Both are really important.

Fiction is fabulous for imagination, for introducing new ideas, for teaching emotion and reaction. Well written fiction introduces new vocabulary and phrasing as well as drawing on heritage and cultural reference.

Non-fiction teaches factual ideas, sequencing and ordering, teaches specific vocabulary and how to put facts across succinctly and in an interesting way.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Sun 18-Nov-18 21:12:32

Oh, favourite picture book...! Very difficult to choose. Currently both my children enjoy Morag Hood.

My son would often opt for an usborne book on vehicles over a “story”, though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: