Talk

Advanced search

Chalet school

(23 Posts)
Chickenpie9 Sat 10-Nov-18 19:06:31

I was a huge Chalet School fan as a child and managed to find 15 Armada paperbacks today . Are these worth money now ? I have heard that they are

iwillkeepthishouseclean Sat 10-Nov-18 19:09:40

Not sure I have a few in the loft also have you checked eBay

ScreamingValenta Sat 10-Nov-18 19:13:12

Look on eBay - some are worth more than others. In general, the Armada ones are worth less than hardback editions because they're often heavily abridged. If none that you have are worth very much individually, consider selling them in two or three bundles.

CMOTDibbler Sat 10-Nov-18 19:15:24

For the paperbacks, they are only worth a couple of pounds each I'm afraid. Rare hardback titles otoh can be several hundered

Papergirl1968 Sat 10-Nov-18 19:24:27

Chalet School fan here too. Where did you find them - charity shop?
Amazon is good as a price guide too.

Chickenpie9 Sat 10-Nov-18 19:35:58

A second hand book shop in children’s department . Couldn’t believe it as most of mine got lost or thrown out moving house as a teenager . Just reading through all of them right now !

Chickenpie9 Sat 10-Nov-18 19:37:04

Most of the paperbacks are the mid 90s Armadas and are from towards the end of the series . Can’t beleive I finally have Reunion as that was one I never had and always wanted to read .

ScreamingValenta Sat 10-Nov-18 19:42:02

If I were you I'd keep them to enjoy!

TinselAngel Sat 10-Nov-18 19:42:17

Chalet School fan here too. If any of the Armadas are worth anything, it's probably the later ones as they haven't been published as often, but they still won't be worth as much as the hardbacks or GGBP (Girls Gone By) editions.

In fact I think even the hardbacks aren't worth as much as they were at one time. Now GGBP have republished most of them.

Enjoy your re-read!

Chickenpie9 Sat 10-Nov-18 19:45:19

If I win the lottery I would love to have all the original hardbacks as the illustrations were lovely ! My favourite Chalet Book is the second one where they spend a Christmas in Innsbruck . I remember they were always running into a Frau Berlin who drove them all mad !

Papergirl1968 Sat 10-Nov-18 19:48:37

How much were they?
There’s a second hand bookshop in Wales that sometimes has some in, and a big charity bookshop near us that occasionally does, otherwise they’re hard to find.

ScreamingValenta Sat 10-Nov-18 19:49:36

So would I! Particularly the Armada ones I have which I know (from checking online) to be abridged - I want to know what's been taken out!

TinselAngel Sat 10-Nov-18 19:49:45

Girls Gone By use the same illustrations Chicken.

I was only thinking the other day, it's almost time for Christmas in Innsbruck.

Chickenpie9 Sat 10-Nov-18 19:57:35

They were £2.50 each I’m not sure if that’s a good price or not ? Years ago I had an e book of Chalet School in Exile and I was amazed how much had been taken out of the paperback I had . There was a whole chapter about Switzerland ( I think ?) and more about Elisaveta than was ever in the paperback .
Skimming through Reunion and I can’t believe how much they all talk about Miss Maynard putting on weight !

RainbowsArePretty Sat 10-Nov-18 20:03:42

I loved those books! Lucky you

ScreamingValenta Sat 10-Nov-18 20:05:34

£2.50 sounds a normal price for the Armada editions.

Papergirl1968 Sat 10-Nov-18 20:10:15

I’m envious. I do have quite a few now and I’ve managed to get quite a few from Staffordshire libraries (we live in a neighbouring county) but there are still some I haven’t read.

parrotonmyshoulder Sat 10-Nov-18 20:10:54

My DD loves them and searches everywhere we go - she has a grand total
of four so far! Two lovely hardbacks and two paperbacks. She would be in absolute heaven if she found 15!

Papergirl1968 Sat 10-Nov-18 20:14:11

Did you know there’s a separate chalet school thread within children’s books on Mumsnet? And that you can ask for access to the e-library?
I’ve read quite a few transcribes on there, but there are some in a format that my iPad doesn’t like!

Chickenpie9 Sat 10-Nov-18 20:22:55

Parrot they did have quite a few left and supposedly sell online ? It was mostly the early ones like Rivals etc that were left

Chickenpie9 Sat 10-Nov-18 20:25:15

*papergirl *i must join that thread! I’m still learning how to do threads and join threads on here

Papergirl1968 Sat 10-Nov-18 20:34:32

If you search the old Chalet School threads they are very funny, and completely take the piss out of the frequent near fatal accidents and illnesses grin

Witchend Sun 11-Nov-18 11:31:53

Paperbacks are not worth much.£2.50 is probably about right except for a few of the rarer ones. I wouldn't pay more than £5 for any CS paperback, as I'd rather pay more and get a full edition. If nothing else GGBP are bringing them out and they're much nicer and unabridged.

Hardbacks can be silly money, especially with dustwrap and 1st ed. I have a Jane in 1st ed, which I think is around £100. (I paid £2.50 at a time when I didn't realise how much it was worth)

TopsyTurvy books (search online) usually has a good number.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: