Talk

Advanced search

Equivalent to Rainbow Magic books for boys?

(41 Posts)
PhilomenaButterfly Tue 06-Nov-18 19:50:25

DS 7 says reading's boring, is there an equivalent to Rainbow Magic for boys? He's reading short chapter reading books at school. He's reading Father Christmas's Fake Beard at the moment, which might have got him into reading for pleasure.

TwiceMagic Tue 06-Nov-18 19:54:15

Beast quest.

cantkeepawayforever Tue 06-Nov-18 19:55:47

Beast Quest seemed to be the series of choice for boys some years ago. Also Dinosaur Cove for those into such things.

Jack Stalwart is good (Elizabeth Singer Hunt).

Horrid Henry?

How to Train Your Dragon?

Just clock on Book people big boxed sets and see what takes your fancy.

RedSkyLastNight Tue 06-Nov-18 19:56:01

Beast quest.

I've endured read both and these are even worse than rainbow fairies imo.
(Your son will probably love them Don't say I didn't warn you!!)

dementedpixie Tue 06-Nov-18 19:57:03

Beast Quest and Sea Quest

Hmmalittlefishy Tue 06-Nov-18 20:01:49

Dirty bertie books are short easy read chapter books he may enjoy.
Roald Dahl?
Some of the famous five books?
Ds liked some space penguin books he found in the library!
If you have the time maybes try the library to let him see what takes his fancy - fact or fiction and go from there?

GerdaLovesLiIi Tue 06-Nov-18 20:02:36

Yes Beastquest and Seaquest are the targeted equivalents of those damn rainbow fairy books. Written by committee, cut and paste descriptions, repetitive to the state of boredom. They are awful. I can't imagine anything more likely to put a child off reading.

Please don't inflict these on your child. There are so many much better books.

I speak as a children's librarian who still hasn't quite recovered from the unremitting dullness of them.

PhilomenaButterfly Tue 06-Nov-18 22:06:40

Hmm unfortunately the only library we've still got locally is in the secondary school, which is only open in school hours.

I'll check out Beast Quest.

For the judgey panted, DD's an extremely good reader, and was addicted to Rainbow Magic. I may want her to read classics, but she reads exactly what she wants.

Pascha Tue 06-Nov-18 22:12:01

bloody Beast Quest. They are so boring. Same plot, different beast/land/baddie. However, every 7yo I know seems to think they're brilliant.

I agree with Dinosaur Cove. Also DS recommends Flying Fergus, Battle Bugs, the Bear Grylls adventures and Flat Stanley.

Findingdotty Tue 06-Nov-18 22:24:13

Beast Quests...but they are awful.
Try Astrosaurs series, Winnie the Witch series, Mr Majeka or Horrid Henry. They are all great. My DS loved them especially the Astrosaurs books.

PhilomenaButterfly Wed 07-Nov-18 03:51:07

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 😊

GerdaLovesLiIi Wed 07-Nov-18 08:15:33

Astrosaurs ftw!

TwiceMagic Wed 07-Nov-18 18:35:38

The OP did ask for an equivalent to rainbow fairies. And that’s definitely beast quest. Hundreds of books all with the same plot. 😆

Both my boys seemed to like beast quest when they were younger despite how awful the books were.

Obviously how to train your dragon is a million times better.

Leeds2 Wed 07-Nov-18 19:41:00

Beast Quest!

Also Astrosaurs, and Cows In Action, series, both by Steve Cole.

Witchend Wed 07-Nov-18 22:16:12

Ds tried Rainbow Fairies to please his older sister. His verdict: "When Jack Frost appeared it was almost interesting."
grin

Beast Quest never had the same hypnotic effect on his as Rainbow Fairies had on the girls. He preferred more factual ones, and at that stage got very into Horrible History books.

PhilomenaButterfly Thu 08-Nov-18 11:07:55

I'm trying to get a very reluctant reader into reading for fun. Rainbow Magic has the right length chapters to not seem like a chore.

DD 11 informs me that boys in her class, yr6, still read Beast Quest, which is depressing, as DD grew out of Rainbow Magic by the time she was 8. She says the boys in her class are lazy.

GerdaLovesLiIi Thu 08-Nov-18 11:20:29

The Wimpy Kid books are good for children who are a bit older but are still put off by too many words on a page. Also the 13 Storey Tree House series.

NotAnotherJaffaCake Thu 08-Nov-18 11:22:03

I am having this battle too (also cross with school for enforcing such bloody stereotypes). Have ordered some Wigglesbottom Primary books which are hopefully all right.

Hmmalittlefishy Thu 08-Nov-18 12:33:54

I think the main task is to find out what they like and Matchbooks up. I'm guessing if you love fairies then the rainbow magic ones would be amazing but if not you wouldn't want to read more than one

. Ds is interested in space and more fact books and likes the Glen Murphy ones. They are a bit like horrid histories.

What about Harry Potter? I have let ds read the first 4 although he is year 4 now and we spaces them out. He also doesn't watch the films till he's read the book. blush
The first 2 are certainly easy read and have the fun element and not as dark as the later ones.
Or if magic isn't his thing there are lots of football books.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 08-Nov-18 12:38:57

Beast Quest I find a lot better than Rainbow Fairies. At least there's some sense of character and continuity.

DS is in Year 5 and has largely grown out of them now but still goes back for a bit of 'comfort reading' much like my DD(11) does with Mr Men books and Dork Diaries.

I do credit Beast Quest with giving DS the confidence to read longer books. They need to think of themselves as good readers in order to progress and I think that's what Beast Quest did for him.

Xiaoxiong Thu 08-Nov-18 12:40:48

Another vote for the god awful beast quest books, also astrosaurs. I just don't understand how but my two boys under 7 love getting them from the library. They're utter tripe but the at least seem harmless.

DS1 also found Diary of a Wimpy Kid books in the school library and I'm pretty unhappy, they seem really rude and actively mean. He came out with some pretty unkind language that he says he read in the book. So maybe I need to guide him back to beast quest!!

(Maybe a separate thread but WIBU to have a word with his teacher about the Wimpy Kid book? Or would that make me "that" parent?)

IHeartKingThistle Thu 08-Nov-18 12:43:05

Yeah they all love Wimpy Kid too, I don't think you're going to stop that train!

Artesia Thu 08-Nov-18 12:47:46

If he’s into football, there’s the Frankie’s Magic Football series, “written” by Frank Lampard. They made me want to pull my toes off just to distract from their awfulness, but DS likes them.

PhilODox Thu 08-Nov-18 13:00:03

Astrosaurs are far superior! And v funny
Also Claude, Dixie ODay, Jolly Rogers etc.

TwiceMagic Thu 08-Nov-18 15:20:37

If reading for fun is the aim, I totally recommend The Phoenix comic. DS2 loves it.

Chapters and such like really don’t matter. It’s about finding something they actual enjoy and having them learn the joy of reading. That’s what makes them want to read more.

The Tom Gates books are also popular because they’re full of pictures (and stupid humour).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: