Talk

Advanced search

Books for a delayed 6 year old?

(15 Posts)
PoesyCherish Sun 04-Nov-18 22:24:31

We want to get DSD some books for Christmas but are unsure what. She's quite delayed with her reading / speech and language skills and is currently on Level 2 books. We bought her the Narnia books to read to her at bedtime but tbh she's finding them a bit much.

Any thoughts on what we can get for her to read as well as for us to read? She's got tonnes of the Level 2 books as well as those thin 10 - 20 page or so books you can get. She loves them but we'd love to get ones that can help develop her.

LivininaBox Sun 04-Nov-18 22:38:29

The Dr Seuss books are quite fun and written in rhyme which is supposed to help with literacy.

For language, You Choose by Nick Sharatt is a good book to get children talking and using new vocab.

Witchend Sun 04-Nov-18 22:57:24

Mine all loved the bunny and bee books at early reading level.
They're quite easy as they're rhyming and all start "Here is a house, a house in a tree; The house is the home of Bunny and Bee."

Noisy Night is the best one, but there's a few.

Ricekrispie22 Mon 05-Nov-18 05:16:42

Little Gems are good www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=772183&catalogId=10051&catId=168726

mammmamia Mon 05-Nov-18 05:47:45

Wouldn’t recommend Narnia at this age at all especially not in the circumstances you describe.
What about some simple verse books. Classic ones like please mrs butler?

mammmamia Mon 05-Nov-18 05:51:01

www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=218821&cm_mmc=Google%20Adwords-_-PLA-_-Songbirds+Phonics+Collection+-+36+Books-_--SONB&utm_source=shopping_google&utm_content=mkwid_c1y6aHC4-dm_pcrid_217455040733_pkw__pmt__prodid_SONB_&pgrid=44617317806&ptaid=pla-360735495332&gclid=CjwKCAjwsfreBRB9EiwAikSUHRr-J7CjRSX-sVhJ1HntUv6ji5vIneRZUcing_1soU_gt3Ytg3YzpxoCwfAQAvD_BwE

GreenThumbMum Mon 05-Nov-18 05:52:24

I agree with Dr. Seuss - there are some real gems in there. Star bellied sneaches are a favorite here!

PoesyCherish Mon 05-Nov-18 07:39:13

How do you tell what level they are on the book people website?

@mammmamia re Narnia somebody on here recommended it for that sort of age. I agree though it's totally beyond her at the moment.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Mon 05-Nov-18 07:43:06

Narnia would go over the head of most 6 year olds. Have you tried some Enid Blyton (the magic Faraway tree etc), or some of those awful-but-popular fairy books?

FissionChips Mon 05-Nov-18 07:47:06

I wouldn’t push books above her ability atm, she needs to feel confident and really be able to understand the stories.

FissionChips Mon 05-Nov-18 07:48:50

Oh, and the Super Tato series by Sue Hendra always seems to raise a smile amongst children that age.

HamishTheTalkingCactus Mon 05-Nov-18 08:05:27

my dc had a language delay at that age. I wouldn't push chapter books - IME the most important thing is to follow a child's interests with reading, so they find reading enjoyable (and model reading for enjoyment yourself!).

At that age, yes Dr Seuss and Nick Sharratt were good. My dc used to like the Charlie and Lola books as well by Lauren Child. When dc was a bit older than six we used to read Asterix and Tintin - we'ld alternate who read out which bits. I found comic books quite good in terms of helping dc read out with intonation/learn about emotions.

mammmamia Mon 05-Nov-18 08:44:06

Yes to comic books.

Only on mumsnet would someone recommend Narnia for age 6 grin

I hated them even at 10 and was an advanced reader!

blueskiesandforests Mon 05-Nov-18 08:49:24

Narnia book suggestion was someone doing that contagious passive aggressive humble brag which occurs around anything academic or career rwlated on MN (all MN children are "avid" readers, they don't just like reading, they all go to Russell group universities, their parents are all senior executives...

Some pinches of salt are required.

Try the 13 Story Treehouse series and the Jane Blind series.

blueskiesandforests Mon 05-Nov-18 08:49:42

Jane Blond not blind

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: