Talk

Advanced search

10 year old advanced reader

(72 Posts)
Mytupenceworth Sat 27-Oct-18 10:29:21

As the title says, I'm running out of books for my 10 year old boy. Santa normally brings a good selection but right now I'm flummoxed!
Terry Pratchett read
Micheal c Scott read
Lord of the rings read
Hunger games read
Harry potter read
Didn't like swallows and Amazon's
Alex rider
Skull duggery
Greek mythology

You get the idea!
Any recommendations please?

I also have a 12 year old daughter who likes fantasy, fiction, and happy ever after.
We tend to alternate between Waterstones, Kindle and the library. I'm beyond thrilled I have two avid readers but have no idea what next.
Thanks in advance!

BasiliskStare Thu 01-Nov-18 04:08:54

Something by Leon Garfield ? I'd give that a go.

Dementedswan Wed 31-Oct-18 21:36:23

When I was 10 I loved Mrs frisby and the rats of nimbh, watership down, just William, chalet school, misty, stormy mistys foal.

CaptainCarp Wed 31-Oct-18 21:28:15

I used to love the Redwall series by Brian Jacques when I was that age. If you don't think your son will like them your daughter might as they are fantasy.

Sadik Wed 31-Oct-18 21:26:05

Though that reminds me of the Magisterium series (Holly Black / Cassandra Clare) which again would be good for either 10 or 12 year old (more proto-wizards at magic school, but pretty good all the same).

Sadik Wed 31-Oct-18 21:23:23

Assume both have read the Mortal Engines series? (Not Mortal Instruments - latter more for 12+ than 10)

Sadik Wed 31-Oct-18 21:21:24

Insignia trilogy by SJ Kincaid (YA sci-fi)
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman for your fantasy lover
Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Napoleonic wars + dragons) for either - long series, aimed at adults but really harmless & fine for a 10 y/o.
Ingo Chronicles by Helen Dunmore (more fantasy)

Jfw82 Wed 31-Oct-18 15:35:51

Tamera Pierce. - either song of lioness or circle of magic quartets to start off with
Dark is rising sequence - Susan Cooper
Magician - Raymond feist (loads more books to follow if that one is liked)
I agree with whoever mentioned David eddings - the belgariad is a great start on his books

BertrandRussell Wed 31-Oct-18 15:22:15

Correction. The boy reader did not care for Georgette Heyer.........grin

BertrandRussell Wed 31-Oct-18 15:21:24

Agatha Christie
Sherlock Holmes
Shardlake
Georgette Heyer
Anne Mccaffery.

All very popular with me two “advanced readers”
Or “readers” as I prefer to call them.

ShinyElena Wed 31-Oct-18 15:16:57

Junior Shiny here:
The kane chronicles is an amazing book
The internal devices really good quality

NotAnotherJaffaCake Wed 31-Oct-18 15:00:56

He's not far off Wheel of Time age - I started them first year of senior school. Fantasy epic, 14-odd volumes, should keep him going for a bit grin

ShinyElena Wed 31-Oct-18 14:54:41

Waves to Mytupenceworth

I am also grateful for all the book suggestions.

Mytupenceworth Wed 31-Oct-18 11:18:51

That should read DD! Blasted phone

Mytupenceworth Wed 31-Oct-18 10:34:16

Once again thanks to everyone who posted, alot here to investigate. Shiny my dad loves, loves loves the school for good and evil. Next one due to be realised next March!

ShinyElena Tue 30-Oct-18 20:49:26

DS (also 10) thinks Soman Chainani's School for Good and Evil is the best series ever.

VickieCherry Mon 29-Oct-18 15:33:56

@PerspicaciaTick Obviously it would be, yes. I am after all a woman recommending it, who has read and enjoyed it many times wink It just seemed like an obvious omission from the list of books he'd already read.

PerspicaciaTick Mon 29-Oct-18 15:09:53

Just to add, there is absolutely no reason why Hitchhikers Guide wouldn't be suitable for a girl as well as a boy.

Aurea Mon 29-Oct-18 13:07:32

Anything by Rick Riordan.

onemouseplace Mon 29-Oct-18 13:02:15

Another recommendation of David Eddings The Belgariad followed by the Mallorean for your DD if she likes fantasy - I first got into them at 12 and couldn't put them down.

Also Tamora Pierce - The Song of the Lionness Quartet is a good start.

I also got into Anne McCaffery's Pern series when I was about the same age - Dragonflight is the first one.

tootstastic Sun 28-Oct-18 13:55:49

DD really enjoying the Sophie Cleverly lost twin series. 5 books so should keep your DD busy for a while.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scarlet-Collection-Whispers-Lights-Candlelight/dp/9123591935

MatchsticksForMyEyesReturns Sun 28-Oct-18 13:49:35

DD10 is enjoying the 39 Clues series. Each one is written by a different author, but the same story. First one by Rick Riordan.

PhilODox Sun 28-Oct-18 13:45:54

I will look for the Clive King myself, urbane- Stig of the Dump is one of my DS' favourite books ever. I didn't realise King had written any others.

UrbaneSprawl Sun 28-Oct-18 13:35:31

Many good suggestions above (Witchend always good to see “Swish of the Curtain” getting a mention!)

Rosemary Sutcliffe (“Eagle of the Ninth”, etc.) is good if the historical setting appeals.

Philip Pullman’s Sally Lockhart quartet are solid Victorian detective novels, which I really rate.

If you can find Clive King’s “The Sound of Propellers”, it’s a great WW2-era adventure story. Similarly, Robert Westall might be worth a look (“Blitzcat”, “The Machine Gunners” etc.)

Witchend Sun 28-Oct-18 12:00:04

Ds is just 11yo and in the last year he's read:
Cherub (check first, as there are a few bits in them that need explaining. We read those together)
Geoffrey Trease Bannermere series
All of James Herriot (convinced him not to be a vet grin])
Daughter of Time (Josephine Tey)
Biggles
Swish of the curtain series (he read the first ages ago, but only just got the others)
The Pinhoe Egg
Box of Delights
Just started Marston Baines series by Malcolm Saville

PhilODox Sun 28-Oct-18 09:58:08

Also Michelle Paver series- gods and monsters, and for older ones Wolf Brother.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »