Talk

Advanced search

10 year old advanced reader

(72 Posts)
Mytupenceworth Sat 27-Oct-18 10:29:21

As the title says, I'm running out of books for my 10 year old boy. Santa normally brings a good selection but right now I'm flummoxed!
Terry Pratchett read
Micheal c Scott read
Lord of the rings read
Hunger games read
Harry potter read
Didn't like swallows and Amazon's
Alex rider
Skull duggery
Greek mythology

You get the idea!
Any recommendations please?

I also have a 12 year old daughter who likes fantasy, fiction, and happy ever after.
We tend to alternate between Waterstones, Kindle and the library. I'm beyond thrilled I have two avid readers but have no idea what next.
Thanks in advance!

OhFlipMama Sat 27-Oct-18 11:22:59

Very similar in my house! Currently the Darren Shan vampire series is going down a treat.

Mistigri Sat 27-Oct-18 11:23:10

Like chocolatedeficitdisorder I think you could also consider adult books. Depends how mature she is and how easily shocked you are but my son (now 15) read Pillars of the Earth a couple of years ago. Ken Follet has written a lot of historical novels which would be OK for a teenager IMO and they have the blockbuster / series appeal of HP and are very easy reading.

CantSleepClownsWillEatMe Sat 27-Oct-18 11:25:21

Rick Riordans Heroes of Olympus series
The Artemis Fowl books (8 in the series I think)
The Mysterious Benedict Society

CantSleepClownsWillEatMe Sat 27-Oct-18 11:26:05

^ For the 10 year old.

NoodleEatingPoodle Sat 27-Oct-18 11:32:28

Narnia?

Mytupenceworth Sat 27-Oct-18 11:50:52

All Rick Riordan covered
Artemis Fowl covered
Darren Shan he gets from the library
I've read a few Ken follett myself, not a bad idea.
Jack reacher is another possibility.
My daughter reads James Herriot on her Kindle when she's nothing else left!
Once again thanks for all the suggestions.
Honestly, not a boastful post 3 of us are keen readers it's just my husband that doesn't read in this house!

PerspicaciaTick Sat 27-Oct-18 11:54:14

You could try the Jasper Fforde Jane Eyre series, about the police force that solves literary crimes (because literary characters are real). Or he has also written some YA books I think. No sex or violence.

PerspicaciaTick Sat 27-Oct-18 11:55:32

Sorry that should have said Thursday Next series, I think the first is called The Eyre Affair. Just having a moment blush

MissLingoss Sat 27-Oct-18 12:18:14

The Invisible Library series by Genevieve Cogman. Steampunk fantasy.
If she likes romance, Georgette Heyer. Nothing explicit in her books.

In a few years' time they both might like Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series. I think 10 and 12 is too young to appreciate them fully. Maybe at 14/15.

GreenDinosaur Sat 27-Oct-18 12:55:20

The Whitby Witches trilogy by Robin Jarvis is brilliant! 

roundthehorn Sat 27-Oct-18 13:10:38

All my girls loved The Moomins, read to them as littlies and then self read over and over as preteens, beautifully written.
Dodie Smith. She may be a little young for I Capture the Castle, but 101 Dalmations is not a babyish book.
Agatha Christie.
Judith Kerr's books for older readers are just as captivating as the Mog books she wrote for young children.
Some of Jodi Picoult's books may be suitable for your daughter but you would probably want to have a quick read before you pass them on. Not "high literature" but she's a good storyteller and her books are very readable.

Do you have a local library? Any half decent librarian would love the chance to help both your children find new authors.

Cherries101 Sat 27-Oct-18 13:12:48

You mentioned he’s read all of those books but what is his comprehension like? To be honest I would be asking him to give me a 5 minute book presentation of each book he’s read.

duplodancer Sat 27-Oct-18 13:13:36

David Eddings? I read the Belgarath and Mallorean when I was 11 and then the whole series another 14 times again after that.
Totally captured my imagination..

Mistigri Sat 27-Oct-18 13:14:30

E. Nesbit - for both of them?

V old fashioned but I loved the "Five children and it" trilogy. It's kind of science fantasy so could well appeal to them both. (Personally I didn't like any of her other books).

Mistigri Sat 27-Oct-18 13:16:21

I'd avoid the Jack Reacher books, horribly written and quite violent. I'm not against young teens reading adult stuff but this has very little merit ... tbh I'd rather mine read Rebus.

duplodancer Sat 27-Oct-18 13:16:45

It's not just about comprehension- it's about pleasure! Please don't make him give a presentation on every book. 😱 One way to stop him enjoying reading.

Panicmode1 Sat 27-Oct-18 13:17:26

I have the same problem, but particularly with my 8 year old - and his comprehension is amazing. He retains information like a sponge and then discusses and retells the story - so I'm currently having to listen to all of the Heros of Olympus series being retold and discussed in finite detail! The Harry Potter series was particularly painful because he's child number four and so I knew them in fairly minute detail in any case!

We are currently reading A Charmed Life and other recent favourites have been Tom's Midnight Garden, Wolves of Willoughby Chase, Charlotte Sometimes, Goodnight Mr Tom, Eagle of the Ninth, The Silver Sword, Once and Future King......

Will check the thread for others I've missed!

Mistigri Sat 27-Oct-18 13:20:42

Both of them might like Caroline Lawrence's Roman Mysteries. They are short but there are an awful lot of them!

Oh and Christian Jacq for ancient Egyptian mysteries. Mine read these in French (are bilingual) but I assume they exist in English. I've read quite a few of these, they are not too explicit and they are good fun.

VickieCherry Sat 27-Oct-18 13:24:24

Hitchhiker's Guide for the boy? And there are lots of dragon series he could get into, I can't remember names now but I loved them at his age.

For the girl, I'd also suggest some Jodi Picot, and perhaps magic realism, Joanne Harris, Angela Carter, Jessie Burton? They may be a little old for her now but definitely in the next couple of years.

Please don't ask for a five minute presentation on a book. They will take in what they can understand, the rest will go over their heads but they can re-read in later years and get more from it.

Pigletpoglet Sat 27-Oct-18 13:34:21

Redwall series - loads of them and my DD adored them at 9 and still reads them now at nearly 13.
Wolves of Willoughby Chase
Snow Spider trilogy
Indian in the Cupboard trilogy
Shapeshifter series by Ali Sparkes
Dragons of Pern
Inheritance Cycle

Also our absolute favourite at this age was Junie B Jones, which is about a 5 yr old American girl. I'm sure it doesn't sound interesting for a 10 yr old boy, but it made me cry laughing...

Mytupenceworth Sat 27-Oct-18 14:13:23

Thanks for all the fantastic suggestions, there's bound to be something there for both of them.
Regards comprehension, no issues what so ever. Every book is read, understood, sometimes questioned and frequently discussed, particularly if they've both read the same book.
We had this amazing librarian who spent ages with them discussing books and asking them their thoughts on something he might have recommended but unfortunately he's moved on.
I find Waterstones particularly good for recommendations too I must say for them and for me.
I'm currently reading one now called the seven deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.

Thanks again to everyone!

PhilODox Sun 28-Oct-18 09:56:40

For DD I recommend the Mortal Engines series by Phillip Reeves.

For DS, what about Alan Snow's books, Here be Monsters and Worse things Happen.

PhilODox Sun 28-Oct-18 09:58:08

Also Michelle Paver series- gods and monsters, and for older ones Wolf Brother.

Witchend Sun 28-Oct-18 12:00:04

Ds is just 11yo and in the last year he's read:
Cherub (check first, as there are a few bits in them that need explaining. We read those together)
Geoffrey Trease Bannermere series
All of James Herriot (convinced him not to be a vet grin])
Daughter of Time (Josephine Tey)
Biggles
Swish of the curtain series (he read the first ages ago, but only just got the others)
The Pinhoe Egg
Box of Delights
Just started Marston Baines series by Malcolm Saville

UrbaneSprawl Sun 28-Oct-18 13:35:31

Many good suggestions above (Witchend always good to see “Swish of the Curtain” getting a mention!)

Rosemary Sutcliffe (“Eagle of the Ninth”, etc.) is good if the historical setting appeals.

Philip Pullman’s Sally Lockhart quartet are solid Victorian detective novels, which I really rate.

If you can find Clive King’s “The Sound of Propellers”, it’s a great WW2-era adventure story. Similarly, Robert Westall might be worth a look (“Blitzcat”, “The Machine Gunners” etc.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »