Talk

Advanced search

We've finished ALL the Famous Five. What next?

(43 Posts)
pupchewsleg Mon 14-May-18 10:10:24

I am sad they are over as DS2 has loved them. He still likes me to read to him at bedtime, so what shall we choose?
DS likes a bit of peril, adventures, animals. We have read all Harry Potter (DS was fine with scary bits). Marcus Sedgwick's Raven Boy and Elf Girl series (brilliant). Mr Gum. Faraway tree etc.
So we would like a series with adventure, danger, animals and likeable characters.
We have tried Secret Seven but not keen.
Any suggestions appreciated.

mammmamia Mon 14-May-18 10:14:16

Five Find outers?

A4710Rider Mon 14-May-18 10:15:02

Does anyone remember the Dragonfall 5 books?

Childrenofthesun Mon 14-May-18 10:15:34

If they enjoyed the famous five, how about Enid Blyton's "Adventure" series - the River of Adventure, Ship of Adventure etc

A4710Rider Mon 14-May-18 10:16:04

It's a bit of a leap from picnics and adventures but I remember going on to Dragonfall 5 after FF and SS.

Gruach Mon 14-May-18 10:21:10

(Assuming you’ve done Dahl ...)

A Series of Unfortunate Events?

The Jungle Book?

The Hobbit?

William!

The Ghost of Thomas Kempe?

The Eagle of the Ninth ++ is excellent - but quite bleak.

Oliver Twist?

Watership Down?

UrbaneSprawl Mon 14-May-18 11:16:45

Arthur Ransome and E Nesbit seem like good candidates...if you’ve read Famous Five together then a bit of old fashioned language obviously isn’t too offputting.

“The Sound of Propellers” by Clive King was a gripping adventure story (set immediately pre-WW2) that I recently rediscovered.

I would see “Northern Lights” as ticking some of the same boxes as Harry Potter (though, IMO, better written and more metaphysical).

SusieFlo Mon 14-May-18 13:17:52

I've got 'The Children of Castle Rock' by Natasha Farrant on our bedtime pile. Not started yet but reviewers describe it as a modern Famous Five.

You could also look at Abi Elphinstone's books, perhaps - and maybe Masefield's 'The Midnight Folk'?

pollyhemlock Mon 14-May-18 18:19:08

If he likes adventure you could try Helen Moss www.helenmoss.org.uk/
Lauren St John is very good: try the Laura Marlin mysteries, or her animal series set in Africa starting with The White Giraffe. A book I am recommending a lot is The Explorer by Katherine Rundell, which is excellent. I liked The Children of Castle Rock, mentioned above, but some might find the tone a little irritating.

Ilovewheelychairs Mon 14-May-18 18:23:07

Animals of Farthing Wood?

parrotonmyshoulder Mon 14-May-18 18:24:20

Joan Aiken - starting with The Wolves of Willoughby Chase.
Narnia Chronicles

PlumsGalore Mon 14-May-18 18:24:58

Swallows and the amazons. I also read the five find outers as a child and much preferred them to the famous five.

PlumsGalore Mon 14-May-18 18:26:41

Oh god yes, the Narnia books, all of them starting with The Magicians Nephew, my favourite

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Mon 14-May-18 18:27:11

Don't miss Enid Blyton's Adventure series and the Secret Island... superior to the Famous Five in my opinion!

BrutusMcDogface Mon 14-May-18 18:27:53

Oh, The Castle of Adventure was one of my favourites as a child! As mentioned above, there's a series of them. I read a few (can't remember all of the titles though blush)

newroundhere Mon 14-May-18 18:30:16

The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper? How old is DS2?

MeltingSnowflake Mon 14-May-18 18:33:28

Have you tried Just William? 39 books chronicling "the adventures of unruly schoolboy William Brown" grin

MeltingSnowflake Mon 14-May-18 18:34:26

Oh - and Tin Tin? I think the modern reprints have taken out the archaic (i.e. racist!) language.

Witchend Mon 14-May-18 18:35:06

Malcolm Saville's Lone Pine Series-try ebay.

Pixel99 Mon 14-May-18 18:37:50

Tom's Midnight Garden - Philippa Pearce (I think) I read this to both my DC. Magical ending.

Inkspellme Mon 14-May-18 18:38:02

Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy - one of my son's favorites- full of adventure and fun and the occasional scary bit .

The Indian in The Cupboard is a great story too.

doublerainbows Mon 14-May-18 18:44:34

Captain Underpants
Antony Horowitz
Eoin Colfer
MIchael Morpurgo
Charlie Higson
Marcus Sedgwick
Skulduggery Pleasant

imsorryiasked Mon 14-May-18 19:06:15

Bear Grylls children's adventure books are great (somewhat surprisingly a I always thought he was a prat!)

MeltingSnowflake Mon 14-May-18 19:48:33

Oh and all the Rick Riordan books too - esp Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard - they are really witty and a fun read

Inkspellme Mon 14-May-18 23:35:15

Rick Riordan were excellent.

I’m just curious - did you not find the famous five dated at all? My kids attempted to read them years ago and just couldn’t relate to them. My dd pointed out how the girls look after the domestic stuff and the boys go and be macho. She just couldn’t get her head around them. I loved them as a kid but I could see her point.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: