Talk

Advanced search

Book about world war 2 for 5-6 year old.

(11 Posts)
superduperdo Tue 06-Feb-18 20:37:32

DS(5) has become very interested in world war 2 after a visit to a local museum, and seeing a recreation of a bomb shelter, air raid sirens etc. He's asking me lots of questions about WW2 and war generally, which I am struggling to answer in an age appropriate way without scaring him! Can anyone recommend any good, fairly simple books? He won't be able to read them himself yet, he's

superduperdo Tue 06-Feb-18 20:38:54

Sorry, posted too soon! He won't be able to read them himself as he's still on very simple reading books, but that would help me to discuss it with him at an appropriate level? Thanks.

Have a look if DK do one of their excellent Eyewitness guides on it. Loads of pictures to prompt discussion and you can pick and choose what to mostly focus on.

harvart Tue 06-Feb-18 20:51:33

My 7yo DS loves the Usbourne 'See inside WW2' book.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Tue 06-Feb-18 20:57:49

Horrible histories do "blitzed Brits" it's child friendly but you can choose what to read him.
The book "why did the whole world go to war and other questions about world war two" might help you answer questions.

superduperdo Tue 06-Feb-18 21:08:51

Thank you. I wasn't sure if horrible histories would be too old for him? The Usborne one sounds like a good idea, we have a few of their "look inside" and "see inside" books on other topics, and he loves them.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Tue 06-Feb-18 21:12:10

Here's a sample : www.superstickers.com/i/tb10988/book-co--horrible-histories---blitzed-brits

OutyMcOutface Tue 06-Feb-18 21:22:20

I remember my first 'introduction' to WWII being the be sound of music (musical about a noble Austrian family who fled nazi occupied Austria). My parents kept it all very factual when answering my questions on a very basic level. How long it lasted. Who was fighting who. Who was leading what country. Who won. Why children were sent away a la Lion Wotch and Wardrobe. They didn't tell me about the genocidal/political rationales until I was about 8 though. Again through questions resulting from things I had read or seen. I think as a general rule if you stick to answering questions that your child has asked and not going beyond that you won't scare them. Children don't ask questions they are afraid to know the answers to, or I didn't at least.

Witchend Tue 06-Feb-18 21:27:59

Loads of stuff about that age. Ds was absolutely into it from about 4-8yo and now is in year 6 and correcting his teacher to the point she's checking with him as she teaches.

History Chanel has some good stuff too. Ds especially liked the one about the Bismark. Perfect for that age-repeats in a breathless voice various facts!

Sj10 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:34:24

Horrible histories do a world war 1 & 2 Aswell
My 5 yr old has them, I edit some as I read

LovingKent Sat 17-Feb-18 09:58:45

My DC is a bit older but really enjoyed this DK Find Out book www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1465463119/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=dk+world+war+2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1518861332&sr=8-9. Lots of info, lots of pictures. You could just pick out the bits he is interested in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now