Talk

Advanced search

More book recommendations needed please!

(34 Posts)
Hiddeninplainsight Mon 22-Jan-18 17:14:15

My DD is an avid reader, and I have run out of ideas for her. Her current favorites (the ones she reads and then re-reads) are:

Kate O'Hearn - Valkyrie series & Pegasus series
Rick Riordan (everything he has ever written)
Garth Nix
Diary of a wimpy kid

She loves Philip Pullman (Northern lights & Book of Dust - haven't allowed her to read Sally Lockheart)

She also has read Wonder and the sequal and really enjoyed them - this was a change from her normal book choices.

She has read and enjoyed:
Lots by Diana Wynne Jones
Harry Potter
Lloyd Alexander (Prydain series)
Narnia books
The Hobbit
Lord of the rings books 1& 2
Ali sparks shapeshifters
Artimus Fowl
Tiffany Aching series (Terry Pratchet)
Clive Barker Arabat series
Murder most unladylike (she enjoys these but doesn't love them)
Maz Evans (who let the gods out)

She didn't get into:
Susan Cooper
Alana series by Tamara Pierce
Earthsea
David Eddings Belgariad

(she read went through a boarding school phase before all of the above and read all the Enid Blyton books then).

Any recommendations for more of the the same we may not have considered (she is still in primary school, so nothing with sex or very adult themes - she has read relationship stuff - from HP and Rick Riordan, but it is all very innocent, and I think she is too young for the Hunger Games type thing) would be fantastic (I know I have asked before but I can't find the threads!!!). Wonder was a new book choice from her, and so I am wondering if there might be some other similar types of books she might enjoy.

Thanks!

whooptifeckindo Mon 22-Jan-18 17:15:24

Artemis Fowl?

MikeUniformMike Mon 22-Jan-18 17:16:17

I enjoyed Emil and the Detectives, Swallows and Amazons, and many others.
Didn't read Chalet Girls.

whooptifeckindo Mon 22-Jan-18 17:16:31

Sorry, you already have Artemis Fowl. I'll put my thinking cap on again blush

onemouseplace Mon 22-Jan-18 17:17:07

The Uncommoners by Jennifer Bell? DD has just devoured these.

Hiddeninplainsight Mon 22-Jan-18 17:20:53

Ah, I love mumsnet! Without you she would never have discovered Garth Nix. So many replies so quickly! Thanks!

Onemouseplace I have tried to persuade her into the Uncommoners but for some reason she is resistant!?! Sometimes if I read her the first couple of chapters, she will hook in that way. I'll see if it works with the Uncommoners smile

Unihorn Mon 22-Jan-18 17:24:06

Paul Stewart's Edge Chronicles?

Hiddeninplainsight Mon 22-Jan-18 17:28:20

Just to add, she basically doesn't like fantasy that is almost 'too' fantasy. She isn't into things with Dragons and things (according to her - Inkheart has never appealed to her). I think she likes things that are 'real' but in an alternative reality (with some exceptions). Not sure if that makes sense. I was into ballet books as a child so she is totally off everything I know!?!!!

HarrietSmith Mon 22-Jan-18 17:30:36

Joan Aiken's books - starting with The Wolves of Willougby Chase - might appeal.

AliceLutherNeeMorgan Mon 22-Jan-18 17:33:22

The Children of Green Knowe and The River at Green Knowe?

Hiddeninplainsight Mon 22-Jan-18 17:34:57

She has read the Children of Green Knowe - I forgot about that one smile

I will try Joan Aiken!

NowtSalamander Mon 22-Jan-18 17:39:32

My DD enjoys most of the stuff yours does, and her additional loves recently have been the Sinclair's mysteries (set in a Selfridges type shop) and Michelle Paver Wolf Brother series. She’s also enjoyed her first couple of Agatha Christies.

NowtSalamander Mon 22-Jan-18 17:39:54

She really loved Joan Aiken.

duriandurian Mon 22-Jan-18 17:44:58

We bought Ruby Redfort from a recommendation on here and loved it. I have also bought Charlie Bone but my DD hasn't read those yet.
Also what about more classic books: the secret garden, ballet shoes, Carbonel etc.?

onemouseplace Mon 22-Jan-18 17:46:03

The Little White Horse?

onemouseplace Mon 22-Jan-18 17:46:24

Ooh - yes, Carbonel!

DoubleLottchen Mon 22-Jan-18 17:52:45

My 10 year old has just discovered Kathrine Rundell and is hooked: DC has read The Wolf Wilder and The Explorer, but she has written a couple of others - The Explorer is the newest. I have just glanced through and read the first couple of chapters, but they look excellent to me.

Might she like Eva Ibbotson? Some are perhaps for younger readers (but still enjoyable); others like the Dragonfly Pool, Star of Kazan and Journey to the River Sea are perhaps more your DD's level.

undertheradarplease Mon 22-Jan-18 18:00:24

My daughter (year 7) likes lots of different genres - if she likes it then she likes it, IYSWIM. Age appropriate books enjoyed by her in the past year include:

The Girl of Ink & Stars
The Wolf Wilder
Girl on a Plane
Where Monsters Lie
Cogheart

It might be worth pointing out that if she enjoyed Wonder, some of the other books on the list were also part of the Bookbuzz 2016 shortlist. Happy reading smile

NowtSalamander Mon 22-Jan-18 18:05:45

Oh yes, Ruby Redfort and anything by Katherine Rundell esp Wolf Wilder, which as far as I’m concerned is a modern classic - the only kids’ book I’ve said that about in many years. And I read loads of them.

Witchend Mon 22-Jan-18 18:29:57

I can't see you saying how old she is, but ones mine enjoyed at about 10yo included:

Alex Rider
Little House
Cherub/Henderson Boys
Chalet School
Biggles
Gwendoline Courtney
Violet Needham
Lone Pine
Monica Edwards
Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew
Joan Aiken (Saddle the sea trilogy if she's read the Dido series)
Arthur Ransome
Anne Frank
Goodnight Mr Tom
Spoonful of Jam (and the first one I can't remember)
Cue for Treason
Olivia's first term (and others)
Jennings
The Daughter of Time
Narnia series
The Hobbit
Just William
3 Investigators
Stalky and Co ds is currently reading with me. He's fascinated by the language in it.

UrbaneSprawl Tue 23-Jan-18 10:38:15

Has she read Diana Wynn Jones’s “Archer’s Goon”. OOP at the moment I think, but available on eBay/Amazon without difficulty. It’s a stand-alone story, and quite brilliant.

Nearlyadoctor Tue 23-Jan-18 12:54:11

Has she read The Warrior cats series by Erin Hunter? Dd 10 has devoured the first 2 series (12 books) since Christmas.
Also recently enjoyed Virjak Paw and the sequel by Sf Said.

twoundertwox Tue 23-Jan-18 13:00:05

Naughts and crosses trilogy by Malorie Blackman

BlueChampagne Tue 23-Jan-18 13:04:29

Anne of Green Gables
Kevin Crossley-Holland's Arthur trilogy
Michael Morpurgo
Cynthia Harnett if she likes historical novels
Leon Garfield

Another vote for Joan Aiken

Nearlyadoctor Tue 23-Jan-18 13:10:07

Scarlet and Ivy series by Sophie Cleverly have also been enjoyed recently.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: