Talk

Advanced search

Birthday Present Book for DS9

(6 Posts)
barefootcook Sat 13-Jan-18 23:34:32

Each year I buy a special book for DS for his birthday. They are generally children's classics by an English author- ie Winnie the Pooh, Swallows and Amazons etc. This year he will be 9 and I am stumped as to what to buy. I tend to read the books to him so am not worried about the reading level but would prefer writing by an English author ( we are abroad) with a story that he will enjoy. Would love some ideas please.

Ricekrispie22 Sun 14-Jan-18 07:19:44

The Chronicles of Narnia
The Hobbit
Five Children and It
Just William
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase

UrbaneSprawl Sun 14-Jan-18 10:21:34

Good suggestions, Krispie. We have just finished reading “My Family and Other Animals”, which my boy thought was hilarious. I would also recommend some of the others in the ‘Swallows & Amazons’ sequence; “Winter Holiday”, “The Picts and the Martyrs” and “We Didn’t Mean To Go To Sea” are among the best. The hardback editions with the maps on the endpapers are lovely, and often avaialable remaindered on eBay.

There are some lovely editions of children’s classics at the Folio Society shop, including “The Hobbit” and “The Wolves of Willoughby Chase”.

Leeds2 Sun 14-Jan-18 13:07:47

Street Child by Berlie Doherty (a modern classic)
Treasure Island
Tom's Midnight Garden
Little Lord Fauntleroy
Alice In Wonderland
The Borrowers

brilliotic Thu 18-Jan-18 12:15:14

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths

A 'classic' in more than one way!

321namechange Fri 19-Jan-18 16:10:30

Wind in the Willows
Tom's Midnight Garden
Phantom Toll Booth (American author)

George's secret key to the universe by Lucy & Stephen Hawking (yes that Stephen Hawking)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: