Talk

Advanced search

Books for a reluctant 8/9 Year old reader

(25 Posts)
incywincybitofa Wed 03-Jan-18 11:46:07

DS wont read- his school have 10 minutes a day of reading and he was on the same chapter of the same book for half a term, I have offered him different books, his teacher now says he has to finish one,so he has lost it.
His reading out loud sounds clunky but I am not sure if it is lack of practice.
Senco doesn't think he has dyslexia but possibly some processin issue, that said if there is something he can research (smaller chunks non fiction) he does really well with quite complex information.

Anyway really I am asking are there/were there any reading books that inspired your 8/9 year old to read.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Wed 03-Jan-18 11:53:54

Try comics. The Beano and more educational ones.

Ricekrispie22 Wed 03-Jan-18 17:48:46

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Stinkbomb and Ketchup-Face series
Crompton Vallance series
Mr Gum
Professor Branestawm
13-storey Teehouse
Flat Stanley
Flying Fergus
The 100 mile an hour dog
Mr Majeika
Captain Underpants
My Brother's Famous Bottom
No. 1 Boy Detective
Matt Millz
Astrosaurs

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 05-Jan-18 09:20:05

Some great suggestions here already. Just wanted to add that when my DS stopped reading at about this age the Beano and Match got him back into it. I don’t really care what they’re reading, I’ve even been known to plonk the cereal packet in front of them while they eat breakfast, just so they read it smile

junebirthdaygirl Fri 05-Jan-18 09:37:03

Could you read a page he read a page just to get him into it? There are dyslexia friendly books with bigger print on cream paper that might be easier for him. Some nice Michael Morpurgo ones. Don't worry about them being short as he can see the end and not be put off.
Read lots to him yourself as that will show him books are fun.

UrbaneSprawl Fri 05-Jan-18 12:13:53

The ‘Little Gems’ editions are an example of the sort what June is talking about. Our local library has a shelf-full. Short, not overly text-heavy, but lots of well known authors, so if he finds one he likes he can seek out longer books by them.

SwimmingIsMyLife Fri 05-Jan-18 12:21:46

I would go for Tom Gates and/or Diary of a Wimpy Kid. These changed my ds (reading) life when he was in yr4.

incywincybitofa Fri 05-Jan-18 20:29:02

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in getting back
He will read factual magazines I will have a look at some of the Little Gems he does like Morpurgo
I have tried He currently is being read Diary of a Wimpy Kid but/because he lost interest in Tom Gates although he loved the series I shall also try some more off the list
Thank you

rainydogday Fri 05-Jan-18 23:25:32

My DS was the same a year ago. He loved the 13 story tree house series, they look like decent sized chapter books but are broken up with comic style pictures. They are actually quite funny too! My DS also enjoys reading the world book of records books and weird but true books. We also subscribe to 'the week' junior newspaper that all the family read! 😳 He has now started enjoying reading as did find it a chore. He is now on the second Harry Potter book - but the illustrated version. Great illustrations and the print is bigger.

Lukasmummy Sat 06-Jan-18 22:34:11

Honestly, I know this is slightly mean to say but if it hold's my husband's or dyslexic teenagers interest it's probably a good bet for a young boy, they listened to Harry Potter so many times I banned it from the house. The ones that have managed to hold their interest were Doctor Who, Artemis Fowl and 39 Clues and Terry Pratchett is a hit with everyone.

curcur Sat 06-Jan-18 22:43:00

Tom gates

GertrudeBelle Sat 06-Jan-18 22:46:03

Does your DS like Pokemon by any chance?

My DS raced through the Pokémon "books". They're not ideal as they are essentially comics which you read backwards (i.e. start at the back and work forwards) but for a Pokémon fan they are highly addictive.

Believeitornot Sat 06-Jan-18 22:48:25

My ds loves his weekly newspaper

Yes to diary of the wimpy kid

Beano

Magazines

outnumbered77 Sat 06-Jan-18 22:51:43

Tom gates series or the 13 storey treehouse series might be worth a try. My two reluctant readers have loved those.

Backingvocals Sat 06-Jan-18 23:02:41

Yy to 13 Storey Treehouse series and the Beano.

Both turned my reluctant 8yo into an enthusiastic reader - admittedly of a v narrow range but I’m happy he’s reading anything. He now also enjoys Tintin and Asterix.

crazymumofthree Sun 07-Jan-18 17:20:08

My DS is the same (turns out he needed glasses!) he can read well now however is very reluctant!

My dad got him an autobiography of his favourite footballer for Christmas and he has read it most nights before bed, we also got some factual books about sharks, blue planet 2 book etc and it just seems he prefers these much more than fiction books.

What about taking him shopping and letting him pick something out himself or something that he's very interested in

SandLand Sun 07-Jan-18 17:37:47

Graphic novels were the suggestion from DS's awesome teacher last year - so yes, wimpy kid and Tom fates, but we gave had dinosaurs, Indiana Jones, and loads of others from the school library.
He also likes non fiction.
Not to start with (if the teacher says he needs to finish a book, pick a thin one), but national geographic almanac is popular.

Apparently Guinness book of records is popular in the school library.

Sea quest and beast quest are still popular - he's been sneaking in to listen to me read them to his younger brother rather than watch tv.

Seem to gave gone of how to train your Dragon, but they were popular last year.

Harry potter - and if he's enjoyed the films but not the books, try fantastic beasts.

incywincybitofa Fri 12-Jan-18 11:52:29

Thanks everyone, he started the latest Diary of A Wimpy Kid and has so far read 60 pages this week- trust me this is HUGE!
He is asking for more books in the series (which I have bought in the past and they are languishing somewhere on a book case as I had tried them before)
So for us this now seems to be a hit
He does read magazines and comics at school in the library but it has taken him a while to get through each edition so far

BlueChampagne Fri 12-Jan-18 13:15:08

DS2 (8) isn't the keenest reader - however he spent an hour voluntarily reading Corpse Talk (a spin-off from The Phoenix, which might also be worth a look).

So glad to hear of his success with Wimpy Kid.

incywincybitofa Fri 12-Jan-18 20:50:16

Thanks BlueChampagne and I shall go an look at Corpse Talk

NotEnoughCushions Sat 13-Jan-18 23:40:39

If he likes football then have a look at Tom Palmer - DS loved 'Football Academy' at that age. Also Stuart Gibbs is a favourite author here - particularly the Spy School books.

lougle Sat 13-Jan-18 23:48:39

Has he read any of the Goosebumps books?

Leeds2 Sun 14-Jan-18 13:12:26

Middle School series is along the same lines as Wimpy Kid, and Tom Gates.
Would also look at graphic books, poems and factual books about something he is interested in.

321namechange Mon 15-Jan-18 10:25:50

Dinosaur cove
Cows in action
Dirty Bertie
Aesops Fables the Michael Morpurgo version was a fav with DS.

grasspigeons Mon 15-Jan-18 10:29:16

I know its already been said but my son liked the storey treehouse books. I think they are all he had read actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now