Talk

Advanced search

Chapter books for 3 year olds

(10 Posts)
Nicpem1982 Sun 19-Nov-17 20:35:06

Hi

My dd turned 3 in Sept and has absolutely devoured every picture book in the house and we've just culled 40 from her collection to be given to a younger family member.

Were looking for some other first chapter books, we've read book 1 of the worst witch this weekend and dd has been happily chatting to me about the escapades of Mildred and maud so I know she's comprehended the story.

Any recommendations

ScrubbyGarden Sun 19-Nov-17 21:14:35

Dick King smith is good, and the early Paddington books. If you can get them second hand, Janet and Alan Ahlberg did some lovely chapter books for younger kids. And whinnie the Pooh! Of course

manateeandcake Sun 19-Nov-17 21:24:59

My DD started reading some chapter books at 4 - as well as the Worst Witch, she likes My Naughty Little Sister and Horrid Henry. I'm not a huge fan of HH but the advantage of those two is that each chapter is a stand-alone story, as I think when they first encounter chapter books it can be hard for them to hold the whole narrative in their heads. Or at least that's been true for my DD. Oh, also the Winnie the Witch chapter books do a similar thing and are good fun.

badg3r Sun 19-Nov-17 22:06:44

We have been reading the giraffe and the pellet and me.

badg3r Sun 19-Nov-17 22:08:01

*Pelly!

Ricekrispie22 Mon 20-Nov-17 06:19:36

Milly Molly Mandy
The Magic Faraway Tree
The Adventures of the Wishing Chair
Esio Trot
Mrs Pepperpot stories
The Magic Finger
Pippi Longstocking
Gobbolino the Witch's Cat
The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark

ojell Mon 20-Nov-17 08:19:49

Winnie the Pooh & The House at Pooh Corner (not least for the reasons manatee outlines above).

The Clarice Bean books also went down well with my boy round that age.

emmaMBC Mon 20-Nov-17 12:17:53

There's A Dragon In My Dinner is a fun one! There's a sequel too, which is always handy!

Nicpem1982 Mon 20-Nov-17 15:39:05

Thanks all I've ordered today winnie and Wilbur, Paddington Bear and a couple of dick King Smith books to keep her going smile

Ecureuil Mon 20-Nov-17 15:40:04

We’re doing Winnie the Pooh with my just turned 4 year old and my 2.5 year old, they really enjoy them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now