Talk

Advanced search

Meeting authors of books?

(5 Posts)
sosofedupnow Thu 02-Nov-17 12:01:42

So my dd is 10 she loves books and loves writing. Yesterday she met an author of a book in her school and loved it, she spoke about the author for hours after school.

I was wondering if there are any websites that you can join that inform you when book events are coming up where you can meet authors?

Or anything else book related that children might enjoy? Her reading level is above her age and she really likes books by Cathy Cassidy at the moment and after checking out her website it’s seems as though most readers are 13 years + so I want something that wouldn’t be too babyish and would engage her.

Any ideas confused

ojell Thu 02-Nov-17 14:24:26

We're lucky enough to have a decent library service - I subscribe to their monthly email newsletter that gives details of all sorts of events in the libraries round town, which often includes author events, readings etc. (the central library recently hosted this exhibition, for example).

There are also a few community/fringe theatres near us which often have adaptations of kids/young adult books - mostly these are on national or regional tours. They can be a tiny bit hit-and-miss (particularly 'updatings' of traditional tales...), but we've seen some great stuff based on books we have read. Get on the mailing list (or just check the listings periodically) for any venues round your way.

shumway Thu 02-Nov-17 14:29:44

Waterstones website has an events section.

NoNoNotAgain Tue 14-Nov-17 12:11:39

OP, where are you? Are there any book festivals near you? (Google will tell you). Or good independent book shops? I'm lucky enough to live in a city with a fab book festival - every year we go and see some children's authors and it really re-ignites my kids enthusiasm for books, gets them reading lots and trying different types of books. As already suggested, lots of book shops have author visits, and check out your local library for events.

Yangtastic Tue 14-Nov-17 17:26:12

Most authors have a twitter account that they use to keep in touch with their fans about upcoming events and new books. If you follow them you’ll see whether your daughter’s favourite writers are doing any events near you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now