Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby board book collections

(20 Posts)
revelsandrose Wed 18-Oct-17 19:10:07

I’m looking to start a nice collection of board books for my 6 month old ds. I don’t want modern characters like Peppa Pig.

Something a bit older, more classic, all I can come up with are Thomas the tank (not a fan) or spot the dog.

Can anybody give me any ideas please? Something that we can ask friends and family to buy as gifts so nothing too expensive and relatively easy to find.

Thanks

NannyR Wed 18-Oct-17 19:13:48

The very hungry caterpillar
Dear zoo
Goodnight moon
Peepo
Monkey puzzle
Gruffalo

revelsandrose Wed 18-Oct-17 19:20:31

Thanks nanny, I haven’t explained myself very well, I mean a whole collection, ie. there are lots of different Thomas the tank engine books to collect, something where the characters stay the same but in different books.

Jenijena Wed 18-Oct-17 19:22:44

Tbh I’ve found they can get exceedingly dull having the series, although they look good. I’d rather build up a collection of, sAy, Julia Donaldson board books. Hairy McLary is ok too.

NannyR Wed 18-Oct-17 19:25:38

Hairy maclary would be good for a series or mog, but I would still go for more variety, it might get a bit boring reading similar books.

AlbusPercival Wed 18-Oct-17 19:26:30

We have miffy board books.

Would also recommend Julia Donaldson and Helen Oxenbury.

My favourite is ten little fingers and ten little toes

MinnowAndTheBear Wed 18-Oct-17 19:28:48

I would also advise against building a collection for babies of that age. It gets confusing for them because they don't recognise the differences between each book.

tissuesosoft Wed 18-Oct-17 19:29:22

DD loves the 'it's not my...' books, I know they aren't older books or a series but they follow the same structure.

Buglife Wed 18-Oct-17 19:29:37

They aren't board books but Mr Men/Little Miss books or all the Beatrix Potters in a nice box? They are a good size for little hands. TBH I can't really think of a full set of continuing character board books, the Thomas ones in board book format aren't the classic Thomas stories but more basic/modernised/themed ones. Perhaps the Meg and Mog books in Board format? A lot of board books are just board versions of normal picture books. Also the time for board books is so short, if I were splashing out on a set I'd go for something longer lasting and with pages. You'll probably be using them in another 6 months. Speaking as an ex children's librarian here!

Buglife Wed 18-Oct-17 19:31:23

The Book People have a box of all the Beatrix Potters for £39.99 at the moment smile

OutnumberedbyFurchesters Wed 18-Oct-17 19:35:35

We got some small mr men and little miss board books a few years ago from sainsburys.

Would agree that sticking to just wanting series box sets would cut down choice and get boring for you and I found DD didn't understand differences in books til older.

Love we're going on a bear hunt board book here btw.
As well as gruffalo, gruffalo child and winnie the pooh board books if you decide to ask for separate ones. smile

Hermagsjesty Wed 18-Oct-17 19:39:04

I second collection by author rather than by character.

I’d also maybe wait on collections and see what characters they really love as they get older... Focus on one off books they enjoy for now.

Someone bought my DD a gorgeous collection of Peter Rabbit books and she really wasn’t into them at all now (she’s 6 now and still not keen - although she loves being read to in general, they’re just not her thing)

If you want to buy something special both of mine have really lovely illustrated hardback nursery rhyme anthologies which they adored as babies and still love now.

coldcuptea Wed 18-Oct-17 19:42:37

I highly recommend Julia Donaldson's 'tales of acorn wood'. There is something about them which my 1 year old loves and he showed an interest in them from very little . He knows the stories now and tells me what's on the next page , even knows he titles if I ask him which to fetch etc .

revelsandrose Wed 18-Oct-17 19:59:50

Thanks everyone, I’ll take your advice and have a look at authors so he (and I) don’t get bored!!
I loved the mr men books as a child and think I’ll have to get some of those when he’s a little older.
Also gruffalo, bear hunt etc as they are also televised (usually around xmas) so hopefully he will enjoy snuggling up and watching those with me too (if he stays still 😊)

Thanks

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Wed 18-Oct-17 20:02:12

If your DS is anything like my DD, you'll have a bookcase full of wonderful books and he will latch on to one particular favourite and raise hell if you try to read him anything else.

I can still recite the whole of Each Peach Pear Plum on demand...

itchywanksocks Wed 18-Oct-17 20:08:00

I’ve just bought the “that’s not my...” series for my 1 yr old from eBay, 15 books for £45.

CoveredInFondant Wed 18-Oct-17 22:02:59

I started off like you. Lots of independent board books.

Now I'm Queen of Peppa.

SleepForTheWeek Thu 19-Oct-17 07:16:21

Look at Groupon - they had loads of book collections for really ridiculous prices. I got the Beatrix Potter collection for £11, the Enid Blyton collection for the same and they had ones for smaller children too

SleepForTheWeek Thu 19-Oct-17 07:20:03

Here’s some for younger children but there’s loads more

SleepForTheWeek Thu 19-Oct-17 07:26:01

Also, for DD1’s first Christmas (she was 2 months old!) her Auntie got her the collection of (Ladybird, I think?) classic fairytales. Think there’s around 15 books. According the price on bottom it was about £100 but DD1 is now 3 and they have been her most read books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now